Skip to main content

One part of the journey ends, One side of me ended as well

I couldn't start on the 31st. Mani and Vibin Etta reached Kodaikanal in the evening, sat to have a few drinks and reached the bungalow around 1 in the night. Then my send-off party went on till 3 in the morning.

The next day, I made rice, Vibin made a curry,  Beans fry and dry fish went along well with the meal. I wanted to take the 12:30 bus at noon, but then they said it would be too early, I decided to take the one at 3. When I was all set to leave, Mani Etta called and handed me my salary. I did not count it, just kept it in the pocket.

It started pouring, It rained good for a long time. They drove me to the bus stop, I boarded the bus early when it went even further since I might not have a seat, when it came back. The bus took me through the most beautiful part of Kodaikanal before turning back. I was getting late and unfortunately, a tree was down, I was sure of missing the train at 8 30. I reached Kodai at 6. It was impossible to catch the train from Kodai road, with another 3-hour journey.

There was a Volvo to Bangalore parked, but my plan was to reach Mysore. When I checked, they said there was a bus from Palani to Mysore at 10. I got into a van to Palani and called Nikhil Etta to inform when Shaju Etta received the call and sounded disappointed about me for not stopping by and also because I called Nikhil Etta and not him. The call got disconnected and when I tried to call back, he wouldnt answer. He said even I was like all other people he helped, who left without thinking. I have a lot of respect for him and after he spoke that way, I couldn't continue. I got off the van at the next junction, waited for an hour and took a bus back. Reaching Kodai at 9, Nikhil Etta was forced to pick me and I was back at Meadows. Shaju Etta was sleeping. 

He was out when I woke up. We had a few guests and two puppies have started living in. When Shaju Etta came back, he was happy to see me, I felt happier. I'm sure I would have cursed myself if I had not returned. He said, good, that I got off and came. I smiled. I looked stupid in the mirror.

After spending some quality time at Meadows Nikhil Etta dropped me at the bus stand with a mouth full of  Magic Mushrooms. All I remember is a happy wide grin on my face for the next four hours. It continued to rain and every drop was felt. The climate started changing, started to feel like I was coming back to hell from heaven. At least I was lucky enough to have spent most of this summer in the hills.

I bought a ticket to Mysore and boarded the crowded train. Yet again I was in the general compartment and this time I had to fit myself on the floor next to two boys on their way to Hosur. The train continued to get extra crowded in the following stations and I got a seat after about 4 hours. Hardly slept that night. 

As the train got closer to Bangalore I started making a change of plan. Rather than going to Mysore and coming back, I decided to get off in Bangalore, finish the wedding and move towards Mysore and Coorg once the bike was ready. 

Nobody expected me to be in Bangalore. Madhvi had no clue. She had got off the bus and was walking home when I called. I gave her a few hints and even described the dress she was wearing. Bugger wouldnt believe it. When I stood in front of her and She missed a heartbeat!

We attended the reception and stayed at Pissay's place. As I entered Pissay's house, his mom welcomed me. When she called my name, he came out in surprise and hugged me, "Mama! band Bitte eno." Helped a little and attended the reception in the evening. Had some beer that night and I don't remember when I slept. I was woken up by his mother at 6 30 in the morning. I couldn't move, was so tired, I tried to hide inside the mattress but it didn't work with his mother. I got up and got ready to attend the wedding.

I needed a place to stay in Bangalore and I needed it for 10 days made me wonder. I have a few friends and relatives but I preferred not to trouble them. Pissay's place was one safe house until I helped him elope with his girlfriend.

I met Ruben Babu at the garage. I had bought a white roadking from him, which I still regret selling over the thunderbird. A nice person with a good sense of humour. We had a chat and when I told him about my situation he offered me a place to stay. He said he had an extra room. I wasn't very comfortable at first but when he said it was not helping and he would surely ask for something in return in the future, I was comfortable and decided to stay.

When I was all set to move, Shreyas called to say that I could stay at his place and even Madhvi stressed on it. I called Ruben to cancel. He said he was cool and I said, I am sorry. My plans for Bangalore turned around and I started to get irritated. The city and the noises made it worse, I lost all the calm from the last 3 months. There is no peace in this place and people have given up on humanity. Back in Kodaikanal I smiled at people and they smiled back but here they get curious when I smile at them. Funny Aye

I stayed with Shreyas for a night. When I had to lie to his parents about me being his classmate and was in the city for a job and stuff, it was difficult. His parents spoke well but had their questions. I moved to Abhi's place, should have done this at first. I told him I needed to stay for 10 to 15 days and he agreed. I went to the garage every day and watched the bike getting fixed. I went every morning around 10 or 11 and stayed till 7 in the evening. In between, I did a small trip with Madhvi. We simply left Bangalore without a plan to reach Dharmastala. 

Sitting in the garage brought back some good old memories from Ooty, when I sat in a garage for months getting a Suzuki shogun ready which I picked after selling my Hero Smart moped for half the price, in just a month. Also sitting with Razak Bhai to fix the Honda Shine, Man, she was an angel, stolen by a friend in Bangalore.  All that past still makes me smile.

The engine was built, bore and head sat on top. Later the chassis was out, all the parts were removed and put back. The patience Moosa Bhai had while fixing every single part filled me with emotions and the biker in me grew happier with each passing day.

The ride was almost ready to roll and needed a final makeover. I had to shell out every single penny I had earned in the last two months on the ride, even went into debt crashing all my plans to continue travelling. Before, when I started I at least had about 3 thousand but now I had the ride but no money. I had 21000 rupees in hand when I reached Bangalore, including a salary of 10,000 rupees from Mani Etta.

I moved to Akshay's place for the last 3 days. It's another home for me. His parents, Aunt and Grandparents lived together. It's a lovely family and everyone respected each other, living individual lives. I had a room on the terrace, Akshay joined me after dinner to talk about stories from travel and college days.

With a heavy heart, I headed back home, reaching after a 7-hour ride. The Jawa rode steady with a heap of luggage mounted for the 250 km ride. I cruised at 60 kmph all the way since she wouldn't speed up and I did not want to push. I haven't got any sponsors and I don't want to waste time anticipating. I have emailed some companies both travel and motorcycle related, let's see. I don't feel lost, Just the money is over which I can earn back with time. I'm afraid of what I will become without a passion.

After being jobless for over two months, I went along with my father to meet the manager in Club Mahindra. He asked me to attend an interview the next day. Mr Prabhu interviewed and hired me as a service facilitator in the front office. I'm all sobered up with life, living like a common man with a standard routine. 

I broke up. The passion is almost gone and I try to stay away from my thoughts. The Jawa is doing just fine. I go home every week and spend some time with family and childhood friends. The days are going with a timetable with nothing to cherish. I smile at the world, I smile at myself and I'm killing my soul every single day. The only thing that helped me survive was Marijuana, Why Dream? just numb the brain!



Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o