Skip to main content

Single men, Good food, and Memories for a lifetime.

The day started with washing a heap of vessels. Since Idlis weren't available, I tried to make Upma but added excess water, ended up making kichdi and was sufficient for the guests. Made porridge for us. For Lunch, I did the chopping and prepared rice while Vibin made fish curry.

Of them, Mani Etta is 32, is single, George Etta is in his early 40s also single, even our Sudev Etta is single too. lol, what happened to them all girls? They are living okay and the need for a companion was not seen in George Etta. They all had a good time together making fun of each other, cracking funny jokes just like boys in their 20s. That's something I like about Kerala. The unity, style and lifestyle.

My sister delivered a baby boy today. I was serving when I got the call. I was happy. Very happy for her indeed. She's been longing for a few years now.

We were having a good time the last few days. Most people come here to drink and all of them offered me some. I limit myself to one and if someone insisted I would take the second peg. Yesterday there were 3 guests from Thrissur and they had a blast. Numerous bottles of liquor were emptied, they danced till their energy drained. One of them was so dehydrated he needed to stay sober. I realised the time only when Mani Etta asked me to continue tomorrow, it was 1 am. I didn't realise and the energy came from the 2 hours of rest that I had in the evening.

That Night, We all made a toast to celebrate, in the name of Adidev, my sisters baby.

I was woken up by the loud music played at a temple. They played it so loud, I was shaken from my sleep and could not think about closing my eyes again. The kitchen was being used by the guests. I filled up the water tank and waited for them to finish. The Music had woken everyone. They made the payment, tipped me 500, and left a mess for us to clean up. I cleaned the kitchen first, had some tea, washed the heap of vessels and made the beds. Sudev Etta broomed and mopped.

After a bath, I went to the temple nearby. As I entered a boy handed me some sweet Pongal. I offered my prayers and when I started eating the Pongal, they started serving lunch. I filled myself to the brim but missed Sudev Etta. I hurried back to make rice and sambar with the freshly plucked beans for him. Later when I walked to buy some biscuits, a group of about 40 people walked in a procession dragging about 15 goats, which were to be killed in the name of god.

It's going to be a feast at the temple, both Sudev Etta and I looked forward to being a part of it. My neighbour told me they serve Pongal in the morning. Sudev Etta wore his new Dothi and we went for the Pongal but were disappointed, it was over. Now we had our hopes high for the afternoon.

We simply enjoyed the meal in the afternoon. Rice, mutton curry and mutton fry. We walked back and decided to go again for dinner. He asked me to buy him a bottle of brandy from which I borrowed one peg. We rode to the temple and could see only a few people around. We didn't know what to do. Only 2 people ate in a corner and a few men were stood chatting. We found a boy near the temple and checked with him if they were serving dinner. He went to check with the priest and came back showing us the direction where they were serving. Happily, we both sat to feast on Rice, mutton curry from the afternoon and fry with both mutton and chicken, yet again we got served twice before we got up.

Vibin said we had a group of 16 guests for the night. All I had to make was a chicken fry and beans fry. They wanted to grill some chicken he said. I got everything ready to cook but still hadn't received a call from the guest. I called Vibin to check. He said they would come for sure. Just when I started frying the onions I got a call. I turned the gas off and guided them to the place. The previous guest who had cooked for themselves had made the chicken differently, I liked the taste. I guessed it could be the garam masala and I tried with it this time. I was right. The gravy tasted almost the same.

The time was about 9 30 when they asked to serve. I arranged the dinner while Sudev Etta lit the camp fire and later, I became a DJ. The kids wanted me to repeat Gangnam style. Every few minutes they would come and ask me to put more smoke, I myself couldn't stand there at one point. People danced crazily like animals out of their cages. It was already about 10 30 when I checked to stop. They knew Vibin well so I agreed to play for some more time. This time I kept the bright lights on and played trance, they were done in just 2 songs. I turned the lights off and had my dinner. The chapattis had become so hard it could stick on a tree if thrown at. I forced myself to eat and went to bed.


They checked out in the morning leaving us a loss. They said the chapattis were hard and there was no chicken for barbecue. They were supposed to pay 14000 but paid only 12000 and a 100 tip before they left. The electricity also left with them leaving both our tanks empty. I wanted to bathe but it was just cold water and the sun, was hiding. I wanted to skip even after carrying a few buckets from the well. 

The call wasn't getting connected to the guy who sold liquor in black. A 100 rs bottle costs 150 since the nearest bar was 16 kilometres away. Disappointedly, Sudev Etta and I decided to eat early and go to sleep.


The chapatis have created a mess in my stomach forcing me to wake up a couple of times last night. I had black tea and a bun in the morning, even massaged my stomach with some oil like my granny used to do in my childhood. I was all set to leave tomorrow and now I am sick! Nikhil Etta called earlier and said he was thinking of coming here. I suggested he came since I would leave Kodai soon.


Moosa Bhai said he would fix the bike in a week after I got there. The paperwork was also pending and the bike had to be ready for it to pass the fitness and there is this fine of 500 per month. As of now, my plan is to reach Mysore, meet the newcomer (sisters baby), Maybe stay there for a night and leave to Bangalore on Saturday to attend Pissay's brother's reception, spend a couple of days to get the ride ready, maybe Do a short trip with friends and visit home before continuing.

I have an idea of taking the van, setting up a kitchen inside and continuing to travel by cooking in different places. The idea sounded awesome if I'm able to fit my bike and a pup inside. If the car idea is a success then maybe I'll be able to travel longer. I like to cook and that's one thing I feel satisfied with. The satisfaction none of my previous jobs gave. Rosie my pet has given birth to 3 pups and I could take one. She delivered 4 but we lost one. All I needed was a companion to travel. If everything goes as planned, the next phase of this journey can start by the end of next month. Fingers crossed.






Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o