Skip to main content

A week in Dev Bhoomi, to realise Human body is a Miracle and people cannot be bought.

Chander Verma is a father of 3, a local resident of Munsyari. Having done various jobs in the past and now running the Mayank Homestay by himself, on lease at 3.5 lakh a year. The day I reached, I told him that he was paying way too much but he already made an agreement for 3 years. He did magic with his hands when it came to cooking though. No bad habits, would smoke a cigarette rarely if someone offers, humble and a neat gentleman. Lovely kids and a beautiful family, living life on what they could afford. He knew his expenses would gradually increase so I asked him to think wisely before he did anything. I had long conversations with him, numerous times during my stay. When I called him to discuss my bill he was kind enough to offer the room at 500 and dinner at 150, even suggested that I extend my stay till the roads ahead were open. I wasn't moving around much but had to be paying rent for my stay and took only 1 meal. Dinner. Survived the rest of the day with biscuits and tea or anything that I could find.

When I woke up the next day, I had a clear view of the mountains. The sun was at its peak after 3 days, I put a chair outside and sat in the sunshine to finish my writing with a Black tea and cigarette. I can't write when I'm too high or when I'm completely sober, it's a state of mind in-between. On my last day in Munsyari, I wanted to make the best of it.

It was by chance that I was forced to stay there for a week. 8 days in Munsyari, 7 days in the snow, for the first time of my life and hats off to the creator for guiding me there. Temperatures dropping to minus in the nights and days as chill as a freezer. I felt nothing. No thoughts. At least I didn't get many thoughts.  Lazing there I used to be around the locals either chatting or smoking, or helping Chandra Ji in his kitchen.

The next day there were two more guests, Pradeep and Geeta. A newlywed couple from Nainital on their honeymoon. Pradeep, a chef on a cruise ship abroad and Geeta was a bakery chef in Hyatt, Ahmedabad. They managed to find a longer route to reach because snow had blocked the main road. I was living like a local in Munsyari, picking and dropping people, buying things from the market. I kept myself occupied and moving around to reduce the feeling of freezing. Either stay tucked inside the blanket or keep moving around. 

Something held me in that place, It felt like home, the silence, the people, the survival, the feeling of owning nothing, the feeling of wonder over the way our body could handle such extreme weather, and the simple life.  They call it Dev Bhoomi and it surely is with so much energy. Even spiritually when I meditated, I felt so good, even the cold was just an outer cover. Suddenly when I was there, I started to hear a chant, a chant that I did not meditate on in my past and it kept repeating in my ears, om Shree Vasudevaya di Namah. I started to wonder what Vasudeva means and why suddenly I had it going on in my mind. I continued to listen.

I remembered the day I reached Munsyari. It all started with a picture I had requested a boy to take. He took it for me and said his brother had rooms if I needed though they weren't siblings. So I had left the luggage there, came out and met brother Kailash Burma who had handed me charas filled beedi. The first drag just opened me up. I had not smoked since the past few days and that hit opened up something inside. Chander said the higher the altitude the better the dope. I scored a stick here a long cool one that caught my sight. Bargaining for 500, he handed it to me. A stick about 15 centimetres long and a centimetre thick. But there were many people who came to smoke. With no jobs during snowfall, weather as cold as ice, they just hang around and relax. I tried to save as much as I could for the journey ahead and I really didn't want to be sober on the new year. I ended up having a combination of 3 different varieties. One from Kasar Devi and two from Munsyari. I was so attached to the place, I realized I wasn't wanting to go. Again!

Reluctantly, I started along with the couple towards Jim Corbett. We had a good ride that day and parted near Nainital. I booked a room as they went home.


Related Videos

https://youtu.be/Aoy-UKcG2yA

https://youtu.be/X1vg5qqkRRw

https://youtu.be/frhH-xlEI1U


Picture Gallery

A picture from Munsyari, Uttarakhand.


Panchachuli Range of Mountains.

A temple on the way back.


An old temple just beside the homestay.

The best moment of my life.

Indian Charas.

A picture from Munsyari, Uttarakhand.

A picture from Munsyari, Uttarakhand.

At the wedding.

It's about helping in need.

A picture from Munsyari, Uttarakhand.

Me at Nanda Devi Temple

Best picture from Munsyari.

Chander's son playing with snow.

A picture from Munsyari, Uttarakhand.

A picture from Munsyari, Uttarakhand.

A picture from Munsyari, Uttarakhand.

A view from the room.


Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o