Skip to main content

A police Bolero with lights blinking came towards me with about 20 people gathering around.

Unfortunately, Jim Corbett needed a 45-day prior online booking and cost 1500 per person. I skipped it and rode towards Haridwar. Reaching up North into the hustle again, for once I missed home.

In the evening around 4PM, while I cruised through the normal traffic, a Muslim family on a bike overtook me, slowed down and came closer asking if I was from Bangalore? I said, "yes, nearby." We continue to talk on the road, riding side by side for a while and he bid goodbye and rode ahead. He slowed down again and invited me for tea at his house. His name was Rashid, a barber working at a salon in Bangalore. He was riding with his wife and a 10-month-old baby, he was home on vacation. I agreed and followed him to his house and he ran outside again to grab some more snacks for the unknown guest. They served me water, tea, biscuits, carrot halva, samosa and egg pakora. Took me out for a smoke, bought me an extra cigarette, rode further and introduced me to his cousin, assured me of his help if I needed anything till I reached Haridwar or anywhere ahead.

Goodness! I was filled. I told them no one would even care to treat them the same in Bangalore. He had a good salary so was forced to live away from his family. Came home for a month every year. He was an unexpected gem that I found. Bidding goodbye, I moved on. After about 10 kilometres I found a perfect spot to camp on the river banks and laid down with a smoke in hand, tucked inside the sleeping bag. It felt less cold after staying in Uttarakhand but was still bone freezing.

I woke up around 8, took some time to pack up and just when I started the bike, a police Bolero with lights blinking came towards me with about 20 people gathering around. I turned around to check what was happening to realize they were there for me. Before me asking anything he asks me to zip down my jacket and started looking into my waist pouch. The main pocket had a wallet and phone, the next one turned out to be chillum and charas. I was scared but the issue was way bigger than a small stick of charas and chillum. It was during the riots for the National Register of Citizens and I was in the Uttar Pradesh jurisdiction sandwiched between Uttrakhand. After opening my bags and explaining my luggage, the inspector was cool. Next, the team of a sub-inspector arrived and rechecked all details. He asked me to sit in the vehicle and the inspector rode my bike with the luggage mounted. Looked like some locals had informed them about a suspicious man living in a tent.

The moment we sat on the bolero, they seemed calm and cool. They spoke to me and treated me well. Arriving at the station, they made me sit comfortably near the fire. Took a photograph and a copy of my documents. They served me chai and roti with dhal and vegetable fry before sending me off. My whole picture about Bihar and its people changed there. I rode on towards Haridwar and reached in the evening.

I booked a room at 250 a day and rested for 2 days. Bathed after a week, washed all my clothes and visited the Ganga for aarthi. Later when I Watched TV and lazed, Rajinikanth from Hyderabad messages that he was in Rishikesh just 20 kilometres away. I was too lazy to move, I told him I will meet the next day since I had paid for my stay already. I just took a walk outside, roaming around the markets, trying out street foods.

The next morning I moved towards Rishikesh. Rajinikanth was staying in the go stops hostel and had booked a bed for me. We met while he was with his cousins and headed out for rafting so we decided to catch up in the evening. I took a walk to the Ganga, visited the Triambakeshwar temple on Laxman jhula and sat there for some time before returning. Went again in the evening to see the aarthi. While I reached the sai ghat, I saw a woman doing yoga. I walked to the other side and did a few Surya Namaskar and watched the rituals for the holy river. When I came back I had a burger and fries with a butterscotch shake. Rajini wasn't back yet, I went to sleep. 

I joined them on a trek to Neer waterfalls and they decided to stay in Udibaba campsite on the hills, I decided to join them, But I had to pay rent at both places because I was supposed to continue in the hostel as well. At Udibaba campsite they charged 800 with 3 meals. A group of 3 friends had started the place but now only 2 had stayed back to run. The landowner took care of cooking for the guests and it tasted good. The taste mainly came from the soil.

Another Punjabi family was staying there. A 60-year-old Jagjit and her 32-year old son Noorinder. After his father's death, the family broke down putting the son into depression. His mother said he was coming out on a trip after years. He was good at driving and had a lot of knowledge but was still a kid at heart pampering his mother for his every need. His mom was a strong lady, innocent but strong. After her loss, she had taken care of him and his sister on her own. Like me, even he had a broken career but recently had taken a new job that paid him well. He looked Happy.  She said when both daughter and son went away for work and education she felt alone but now she had her son along.

They were also on a spiritual path but chanting to "hum yaha rahenge kyon." In the evening while I sat in the next tent listening to the chants, I went to their tent and sat meditating. There was so much energy in the chants but they didn't seem to feel it. When they stopped I ask them why do you chant asking why are we here? And said there is no point creating so much energy when it's not being felt or used. They were holding on to certain concepts and the mother was dominant and I let it be. It felt like they just wanted something to feed their minds. She advised me on quitting weed which hurt me and I asked, then why are you putting your son under prescribed drugs?  Just because it's prescribed doesn't mean it can heal a mind. 

I spent more time with this family than with Rajini and his cousins. They all looked conservative and comfortable on their own. Rajini was pulled around so much, I was better to be comfortable with myself. The next day they all left for Haridwar and I came back to the campsite. Camped again at udibaba paying him for food but Pitching my own tent. The next day, I drove with them to Kunja Puri temple, another one of the 52 Shakti Peets and the place where Shakthi's chest had fallen. In the evening, we all sat next to the fire sipping some Liquor.

After I started smoking charas I realized that my body felt weaker than with smoking weed. Charas heated the body to help in cheating the brain about the cold. It drains a lot of energy though and my food was limited. I reached the main road sweating with layers of clothing. Noor and his mother dropped me off exchanging goodwill. 

I rode towards Himachal.


Related Videos

https://youtu.be/pCnZlhcYtDM

https://youtu.be/59Lc5UP8lOc

https://youtu.be/KCamKxgRDiQ


Picture Gallery



A picture from Market in Rishikesh.


Enjoying a meal with Jagjit And Noorinder at Rishikesh.

A picture from Rishikesh.


At Kunja Puri Temple


A picture from Rishikesh.

A picture from Rishikesh.

Udibaba campsite, Rishkesh.


Udibaba campsite, Rishkesh.

A view of Rishikesh.


Neer Waterfalls


Near Udibaba Campsite

On the way to Neer Waterfalls.



Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o