Skip to main content

Indian businesses are mostly built on slavery or black money

I was forced to wake up at 6 since a guest called for water bottles, as I passed the reception greeting Karthik, he asked for some black coffee, while I waited to take it down, Jai arrived and said he would take care of the coffee and asked me to get fresh and come back.


Selvam Sir called to ask me to collect my pay for 3 days from the previous month and handed my offer letter too. I received 1160 rupees, I kept 1100 safe, With the balance in hand, I started on my daily walk. Jai wanted to join but was stuck with Apton sir to make a room. I stepped in, we finished the job and hiked a hill, adjacent to the resort. I bought some juice and sweets which we sat down at a pear plantation sipping and snacking. Even picked some fresh carrots on our way back. It got stressful for Jai later when he had to do service, after a tough walk. Bugger is strong and challenging. He sticks on and is a good company.

When we came back, I got to know Nitesh and Savitha had come to meet, they tried calling but my phone wasn't reachable. I checked the phone to realise I had a missed call. I was sad that I couldn't meet, tried calling back but the call wasn't getting connected. Many people used my phone to make calls since I had a network with BSNL but not today. I turned the phone off and on before calling, said I was sorry. They had reached back. He spoke about another job offer today, said the cottage at Gundupatti needed a caretaker for a month. He said they will pay and asked me to leave after taking this months salary.

I started thinking about the offer but I retained the word I gave to Selvam sir. Later when I told Jai, he said he would quit after me. I wondered if  I should stay and continue to take this experience or should I take a chance to explore? I had committed to staying here for 3 months. I helped brother Lawrence cut vegetables after lunch. Navneet took his break as I was in the restaurant.

We had just 4 rooms and the last service went at 9. It was just the new front office manager to serve and it got delayed. These guys who went to serve sat to have their dinner. Mr Sundaram called the restaurant, I said They forgot to take the pappad and came to fry when I get another call. I picked the call and he started yelling. He said he could see everything on the camera, continued shouting, he did not let me talk. I kept my calm for a long time but when he didn't stop, I burst. In Tamil, I said "you m******king jerk", you do whatever you want and he put the phone down. After dinner, I spoke to Nitesh asking him to check with the cottage he was talking about.

Nair and Selvam Sir were back and Ganesh was unloading the goods. I helped him and when I was about to leave Nair asked about the delay in service. I explained to him what happened and walked away while He was too drunk to respond. I went to sleep around 11 but was unable to find my blanket. I assumed the new manager must have taken it. He stayed in the driver's room since the staff room was dirty. I agree the room above is a dustbin but the room I was staying in, I had cleaned it after I got there. I was bitten by ticks for the first few days and after putting the beds out in the sun, they vanished. Everyone in the room was in deep sleep and I dint want to pull out the sleeping bag, I tried to sleep when Karthik comes and hands me a sheet to cover.


I couldn't sleep well because of the cold, woke up at 6 15, Upon reaching the restaurant, had a black coffee and sat expecting a call from the office to talk about yesterday night. Luckily there was no sign of what happened and the day went as usual. We had one guest with complimentary breakfast and 4 more walked in for breakfast. I was having mine when I get a call, a guest wanted to meet me before leaving, I went down to meet Eddie. I spoke with him yesterday when I was going for my break and told him what I was doing. He said he liked how I spoke and wanted to meet me before leaving. He gave me a 500 rupee tip and asked me to keep going.

After Lunch when I was writing the blog, my mother called. She was giving me an update about the things at home and said dad was having a tough time at work. Now that I have some confidence in myself, I told her I would continue.


The last 4 days have been tiring and frustrating. It started around 6 and the next day began before I went to bed, mostly me being the last to sleep. Today when I continued writing, I realised it has been 5 days. I didn't know how the last few days passed. we had a group of 35 accommodated in 10 rooms and the weekend was full. The restaurant with 4 of us in service and 4 in the kitchen were washed like clothes.

There was good support from everyone and we managed to handle it without any complaints. last few days with so much work, we hardly rested and were starting to yell at each other for silly things. Noone had a proper sleep. Kannan sir at the reception looked so tired, he didn't know what was happening around him. He worked both day and night and looked after the bookings, billing and even calls in the night.

Suddenly, Selvam sir said he is quitting the job which upset him a lot. He was the only support to the staff, though he was heard shouting at many in his cabin. He took things personally and in some regard, the owner supported Nair, Which he couldn't digest. After this many including me started to lose interest in the job.

Unfortunately, there was no water in the resort with most rooms full. Guests went so furious that they started calling everywhere. After Selvam sir said he is quitting, we hardly put any effort. Every call we got, we diverted to Nair and let him take the blame. We made him run around so much, by noon, he didn't move. We placed drinking water cans in the bathroom for guests to clean up, and for our bad, it was a big group. The group had to pay around 1.8 lakh but with all the issues they ended up paying just about 60 thousand. They played smart. Selvam sir stood there having his fun when the conversation heated between guests and Nair

We served dinner to a family near the campfire since it was their anniversary. They were very understanding and did not create any issue with the water earlier. We closed the restaurant by 8 40 and went down to serve Nair and his drinking partners and rested for the night as we all longed for good night sleep.


brother Lawrence


Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o