Skip to main content

We are all shaped by our experiences.

Nitesh Etta said he would drop me back, I prepared black tea and after a joint, we left. As I walked towards the restaurant, Nair sir called and asked me to freshen up and go. Lawrence brother is going home for a couple of days. He was waiting for Chef Prabakaran to relieve him. Chandru and Navneet joined today. Chandru for Service and Navneet for the restaurant. Selvam sir asked me to train Navneet on the system and said I might have to move to his office to handle reservations.

 Navneet is 38. He is married and blessed with two daughters. He used to work before marriage, then decided to start a food joint in an IT park in Chennai. Unfortunately, the business went on a loss, he had to sell his wife's gold and almost everything to cover his losses, His wife left him and started living with her parents in Kodaikanal with the kids. When she started asking for a divorce, Navneet left Chennai and relocated to Kodai to try convincing her and to take her back. He said, he has abused her several times with his frustration from work but is regretting all he did and needed his family back.

On the day that he came for the interview, someone dropped a stone on his leg making a wound on his thumb toe. The nail was partially hanging, the wound covered in blood, still, he came to the interview without getting a dressing, didn't think about getting it treated even after. The other guy Chandru is 18, quit a catering course and came here due to personal problems. He was first hired for the restaurant but later after going up and down a few times, he moved to housekeeping.

I went on my walk as usual through the grasslands, hiking rocks. I saw the hotel ahead of me at one point. Found a new way to get back, also encountered a group of quails that ran past. I simply sat down keeping a good view ahead of me and enjoyed the sun going down before getting back. In the evening we had a nice time getting to know each other, sharing our stories. We later served the guests and got back. Navneet stayed with us while Chandru stayed in another room.

It is Friday today. I was about to set out on my walk when Selvam sir called and asked me for some documents and my fingerprint. They took some time with the documentation, it was already midday when I got out. I knew no temples would be open and walking in the heat would be a task. I asked Navneet to take his break for an exchange. The day went as usual till noon and I was screwed for skipping on taking the stock count for the last 2 days. 

I started walking after lunch, while I sat on a rock nearby I got a call from Sheriff. I lost words for a moment, one of my best friend's mother was no more. The worse part was my friend had not taken it well. I stood simply gazing at the hills around, feeling lost? I recollected our past, having food at their place and for every Bakrid he gave a whole mutton leg. I told Sheri to let me know if they needed me. I cannot explain what I felt. I wanted to talk to Tabby but couldn't find the guts, I had to. I just needed some time to digest the news myself. I somehow managed to exchange a few words on call, he didn't sound good.

I got back and continued work, We had a group from Bangalore and another group of bikers from Selam on a Harley, KTM, and a Ninja. They were family. Three cousins riding together without a pillion. I had a small chat with them in the evening and when I said I rode a Jawa, something bonded. He said one could buy another Harley but finding a Jawa is rare.


The morning was calm and energetic. I added the stock to the computer with Navneet and suddenly, his wife called which cheered him up, He looked better today, said he was very happy but didn't know how to express it. I told him I was happy for him and whenever he left this place, I asked him to walk out as a new human.

The clock is ticking 8 30, Suddenly when it got crowded, we divided the rooms between me and Naveen with Jai on my side and Raghu on his. It's fun when it suddenly gets packed and everyone running around with their adrenaline pumped. In the end, if we finish without complaints it's a success. I took a break along with Jai and hiked to a place we saw from the resort. We climbed a water tank for a better view, scared me a little. I meditated there and got back to see people waiting to shoot at us, no one can take breaks during the peak season!


I got a call from Selvam Sir asking if any bill was pending for 208, unfortunately, it wasn't posted and the guest stood at the reception to checkout, We missed coordination and it was a complete mess in the restaurant. He yelled and disconnected the call. Later while I had my breakfast I was called down. Both Selvam and Nair, waiting to blast, it was about 2 in the noon when I came out. He repeated the same thing again and again and trust me at one moment I just felt like asking them to screw themselves and run out, but It was my fault, I stood low. I added a bill to the wrong room and when the original guest was to check out he mentioned taking food but there was no bill posted. Luckily the guest paid by cash and finally, after screwing for hours Selvam sir said we can tally the same with the other bill. I wondered why waste so much time yelling rather, find a solution and move on.

I didn't feel like eating when I got back but forced myself to have some. Went to help Jai in bringing a can of water when Apton sir from Housekeeping gave another work to dispose of a few boxes. Helped him in that and sat idle writing my blog. I haven't bathed in the last two days and I'm feeling so dirty. I cannot bathe today coz I don't have a break. People are forced to work for 12 to 15 hours a day during the season without a break.

Money dominating everything over the last few decades worries me a lot not because I'm jealous of the rich, but because not all are in that chase for money and when some souls like me want to explore life, we are dragged by society. For me, I miss money only with regards to motorcycles and travel.  Life is a struggle everywhere. Sometimes I feel I can simply go back home and struggle in my land with my people, maybe someday.

All I wanted was a balance in life, and people don't understand that, it's a question of how can this man live in peace? they don't try to better their lives but always try to bring the better person down. Nair asked me if I had sinned so much that I go to temples often, even Selvam Sir said God is within and there is no point in going to temples. I had a few things from my past that affected my mind. visiting temples, kept me calm and guided, helping me overcome man-made barriers about life.

I walked towards the restaurant and Nair stopped me saying a guest wanted coffee. I said I'd take it right away and came to the restaurant. While I gave the coffee and took clearance, Navneet joined. Selvam sir called and said there was an uncleared bill posted on a room, he started blasting and disconnected the call. I took the bill book and went down.

It was due to a KOT (kitchen Order Taken) which I tried to delete yesterday. An amount of 1345 still popped, another kot was visible in the deleted list. I requested him to give me the list of dishes in the uncleared bill so I could check. He tried but couldn't pull the details, later he ordered me to keep a check on the uncleared bills before leaving in the night. Once the day ends any pending kots or bills cannot be removed. He had told me this earlier too!

Swami asked me when his phone would be delivered, after 15 minutes I got a call from the courier guy. Since his salary wasn't due till 15th we asked him to deliver after 3 days. When we told about this to Apton sir, he asked us to get it delivered and tell Nair to give an advance to pay for it. I called the guy and he said he cannot deliver today, I somehow managed to convince him, saying I had to leave home tomorrow, and he agreed. I came up to find Lawrence brother, Navneet and Jai talking and I joined the conversation. Everyone had got their salary today. Lawrence had just 100 rupees when he went home so he regretted that he could not buy anything for the kids back home. He requested an advance but was denied and later the chef gave him the 100 to travel.


Today Chandru, a guy who had joined 3 days ago eloped from the resort. He threw his luggage outside the compound and later collected it and ran away. Selvam sir got so pissed, he called his parents saying he has stolen something. The whole family came in the noon and sorted the issue.  


The evening went well with just 4 four rooms to serve. Since no one helped to take the stock count, I had to put fake numbers and end the day.




Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o