Skip to main content

2strokes, endless rains and the flame of age

The backpack started to feel heavier with every step I took. After walking for about a kilometre I saw Nitesh riding towards me on his yellow deo. It was drizzling when we started and It rained hailstones later. Nitesh Etta took a video without even pressing the record button. I wanted to buy them something. Last time I had bought a pack of cigarettes and this time I wanted to take something to eat. He liked brownies, so I bought some and reached Meadows. Just after 5 minutes, Mani Etta got there with Vibin. They said we have a guest for Gundupatti today.

Vibin Etta and I started on a hero honda passion, We stopped at a tea shop nearby, waiting for the guest while they arrived in a white Volkswagen Vento. Two families with two babies. One still crawling while the other taking baby steps.  They were basically Telugu people settled in Bangalore. They continued to follow as we rode ahead.

The ride to Gundupatti is one priceless experience. It did not matter sitting pillion anymore and I simply enjoyed the ride. The road to Manavannur lake winds through narrow lanes with tall pine and eucalyptus trees on both sides. For a moment, it took me back to Ooty. The 38-kilometre ride was something I had missed for some time now.

The Kurian Bungalow is a 45-year-old bungalow built by the British. It was bought by Kurian, a businessman from Kerala settled in Kodaikanal, now leased by Mani and Vibin to run as a homestay. The bungalow is vintage and is built in a classic English style, with a fireplace at the entrance, two bedrooms, a kitchen, a hall that was converted to a DJ room. Not many houses around and the place was surrounded by grasslands and hills on all sides. Peach trees and vegetable plantation to welcome added another vibe. I would stay here even if I have to tent outside.

For dinner, We bought ready-made chapattis to serve with dhal fry. I prepared soya while Vibin prepared potato and egg masala. The guests drank till late. We served them and went to sleep around 11. 

I pushed myself out of bed after the alarm at 7. Made black tea for everyone and checked if they wanted to stay back? They decided to leave since one of the couples wished to move to a resort and stay close to the city. They all had black tea while one of the ladies made coffee for herself with the milk sachets she had. Vibin and I went out to buy breakfast. Idli, Vada, chutney and sambar from a small canteen. The vada tasted the best, we ate one each with a tea and waited until they left after breakfast.

Later in the evening we planted strawberry plants and sowed some beans. After watering them, we got in and I made dinner. Vibin liked agriculture, he planted any seeds he found. Fruits and vegetables taste excellent here in Kodai, especially the passion fruit and peaches. I missed home for a moment, we too had a variety of plantation around the house. My Mother does some vegetable farming. I remember her telling me, she bought just onion and tomatoes since vegetables were fresh to pluck at home. We had chapatis and rice with dhal. I later washed the vessels and slept.

The next day we had to go to Manavannur. Two men did the farm work and I took care of the cooking. Raju wanted booze on our way back. We left in the noon while it started drizzling. For once I started to feel, 'good things are ahead' Those curvy roads and the ride through the forest was my piece of cake. On the way back he stopped at the lake and we drank some rum. I felt on top of the world.

Days are lazy and my body is happy about the good rest here. This place is keeping my mind calm and relaxed with the magic of nature. We went to Kodaikanal yesterday to buy some groceries and dropped by Meadows. After spending some quality time there, we started back at around 6 in the evening. It was pitch dark with vehicles rarely passing us and for the last 16 kilometres, it was just our bike moving through the forest. 

I woke up to know that guests were on their way. I turned the heater on while he took me to buy breakfast for them. We served ghee rice and egg curry for lunch. I had my stomach full but missed a sweet in the end. It started pouring grasshoppers after lunch, rained for an hour and now there is no electricity.

Sudev Etta joined us today. A thin dark man in his 40s, studied till 3rd standard, had to discontinue to take care of his little brother since his parents were working.  Not married and has no one to call his own. He lost his father 12 years ago and his mother 5 years back. He ate less and worked like a machine, was slow but doesn't take a break till he's done. All he needed was a little food and to make a shelter for himself for his last days.

Mani and Vibin first came to Kodai to do agriculture. After losing good money on it, they started a business. Vibin has a wife who is pregnant back in Shoranur. He is active when it comes to agriculture. He doesn't talk much but has seen life to a large extent. He visited north India once, shared a few of his stories and suggested some must-visit places. He was an associate of a political party in Kerala during college, has got booked for a few cases too. Many people value politics in Kerala and it starts from the college days. 

For people from the cities, you will never understand what technology has taken from your life. Every time he asked me to take the ride I went on flames. I was still getting adjusted to the bike and to take on these roads at good speeds I needed some time. For any biker, the ride from Kodaikanal to Gundupatti is a sheer pleasure. Ride safe because You may have a long way to get back and you don't want to screw the trip with silly mistakes. There are bison and wild animals so please don't harm them or be harmed.

I was under the impression that today was a Friday but later realised when a person next door stopped by for a chat. I heated about 48 chapatis, burnt my finger trying to remove a plastic cup used to keep oil next to the pan. The cup melted and lost its shape without me realising. Vibin made the traditional Kerala style chicken curry. Indian cooking is mostly the same, just a few ingredients differ from place to place depending on the vegetation around.

The guests were drinking even as they got off the traveller. By the time they left for sightseeing, they had already finished 4 bottles. One made egg burji with 29 eggs, shared some with us too. I offered to cut vegetables but he said he would do it himself and took care of the cooking. There is no power. The guests are continuing with their drinks while I sat alone in the kitchen writing with a candle lit in front of me. 

They danced like crazy with the music and lights. Vibin Etta showed me the switches and I played DJ. There is a good tower speaker, a laser, UV light, bar light, hanging lights, and a disco light and is a good setup for people to get sloshed. I felt a subwoofer was missing to give that bass. 

We bought idlis to serve them breakfast, Vibin Etta had asked for 2 kilos of wild pork. When it arrived, the guests wanted to have lunch before leaving. We agreed and he prepared it for them at an extra cost. While I cut the meat I could feel the freshness and there was not much fat or bone. I cut to make small pieces for the fry. He knew nothing would be left for us so we kept some aside before making. It was not a very old boar, the meat was tender and cooked well in just 2 whistles in a cooker.

After frying onions in a pan with green chillies and garlic, he added coriander and chilly powder, added the pork and some saunf at last. He used a mixture of coconut oil and sunflower oil to fry the ingredients.

They were set to leave when a man came and handed a bunch of notes to me, I simply put it in my pocket and wished them all a safe journey. I made the beds and broomed the rooms. Had a few vessels to wash, did that too. I sat down typing while he went to bathe and it's starting to rain again.

I feel good listening to the rain. It brings back a lot of memories. One day in Coorg when the thunderbird was parked in front of the house, I watched the raindrops take all the dust and oil off and the ride shined when the sun came back. During my days in Bangalore, I enjoyed watching them motorcycles parked in a line, getting wet. I can never forget my rides in Ooty too, 2strokes, endless rains and the flame of age. Memories cant be enough.




Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o