Skip to main content

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born.

For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word and this moment felt like an accomplishment.

At one point before Munsyari, I was in delight to see snow on both sides. Shivering in the bone freezing cold, I managed to reach safely. When I sighted the first person around, I stopped and asked if he could click a picture for me and he was happy too. Later he found me a stay at 750 with dinner after a lot of bargaining, I said ok since it's for a day and agreed. I met Chander Verma, who ran the homestay, He showed me the room and offered me some tea at his canteen. That's when I met Kailash Burma, he rolled one in the beedi and asked if I would smoke? I said yes and he passed me to light. Just one puff and it opened me up to a new dimension. They say, higher the mountain, the better the quality of charas.

 Camping around could have turned me into a piece of ice by morning. With neat rooms and a priceless view of The Panchachuli, I was lit one more time. In the evening it started snowing and continued for the next day too. The first snowfall of my life. I had no cash and to find an ATM, Not Caring much about the snow I rode on trying to draw some cash but they said it opened only after 10. While I stopped for chai and omelette, the shopkeeper suggested I hurry back orI would get stuck.  With 50 rupees in my wallet, I bought some fruits and cigarettes before riding back upwards as soon as possible. In about 400 metres the bike gave up. I was the only man, mad enough to ride in such bad weather and after a point, It was just skidding on all sides unable to move ahead. I parked it on the side and walked back. It snowed throughout the day till about 11 pm that night. When Chander Ji served me dinner, It was the meal of my life. The taste of vegetables and food felt like being served in heaven. Rice, dhal, potato fry and egg. With my tight budget and forced stay, I ate just one meal a day.

Later that noon a person suggested I take a walk to the atm and be back soon otherwise there would be no ATM for the next 2 days. The town being 3 kilometres away, I dressed up, covered my socks with plastic before wearing my shoes and started walking. He guided me through a short cut but after the junction, I had to take the main road since the shortcut was covered with snow.  On reaching the Atm I had to wait since they were just loading money, and then withdrew 3000. I met a few boys there and bought some charas. It was already late, It got dark and my phone battery drained. I was high but I kept walking taking every step in the snow. When I reached, I found there was a group of people gathered, worried and waiting to start a search mission for me. That night also Chander served me another amazing meal. I guided him on the business, listed him up on google and promised to list him on Airbnb as well.

I was in paradise The next morning. It was the feeling of worth to be born and worth riding the distance. While I mostly stayed inside the blankets, Chander dragged me out to a house nearby where a wedding was about to be held the next day. I saw everyone joining together in clearing a rooftop covered with snow. I joined too, I was given the tilak, the local chai with rice and spices, someone came and even offered me a smoke in-between. I was like one among them. 

Chander and I took a walk to the market the next day as He had to buy some winter wear for his kids. He did the shopping while I sat and added his property on Google my business. I met the guy who sold me stash. He was asking me for a job in the city. He was lost and expected 15000 to 20000 a month. I got irritated. I asked him what was worth that he would be paid so much. He said he had completed a BA and had experience working in numerous places, but again like me was not comfortable anywhere. I tried explaining to him that there was no point going to the city and since even Chander needed a hand he could help him if needed and he could earn a salary of 4000 to 5000. The moment I said 4000 he said he was paid 8000 a month here. I asked him then why he didn't continue? The problem was him and not the job or the place. He said If he could control drugs he could survive any job. The same applied to me as well, no matter what I was doing. For me, Ganja has always helped in keeping my thoughts at bay to simply go with the flow, the one thing that I can afford to survive existence.

When we started back, Chander asked me to continue while he would go home and come later. I came back to rest and later he brought me dinner. I ate and went to bed. No vehicles moved and walking was the only way to access the whole town but no one seemed to be in a hurry; a hurry would only put you in danger. 

Another day in Paradise, it was a lovely morning, waking up to that view was priceless. Had tea and a joint while Kailash Burma Ji came in and took me to the wedding. The music and their beats kept going all day long. The music was more like our desi drums but they wouldn't take it to the peak, it was balanced beats.

When we reached we were assigned the job of clearing the snow off the path. One must keep moving to keep the body warm. We cleared a path that was to be taken by the wedding crew for the rituals. After about an hour of hard work, it was good to go. It was a pleasure to see people climbing up in peace. When we were done, he took me to the local arrack shop where we cheered for a drink on an empty stomach later he took me to his cousin's house for chai. I came back to the room while he went in search of liquor for the wedding party. I rested for some time while another neighbour took me to the wedding again. Had lunch and came back to the room. That evening I went again with Chander Ji to experience the music and local dance. 

I tucked myself inside the blankets and he went to bring me dinner. The movie 'welcome' played on TV, I was watching television after a long time. In between came the ads of creams and lotion and handwashes. I wondered why people used chemicals and trust them so much without even knowing what's inside? Every time we use a handwash wouldn't there be any chemicals left back on the hands? With the hand sanitiser also, If the hands are dirty, one uses it and later can eat or drink with the same hands? With more chemicals that are said to have killed all germs. I wondered. My dinner came in at 10 while I waited hungrily. Enjoyed the rice and dhal before going to sleep.


Related Videos

https://youtu.be/zTIACFqk8XM

https://youtu.be/fGeMqmFU3Nc

https://youtu.be/3GD8p21MnWU

https://youtu.be/XRT7GxopgM8



Picture Gallery




The First picture Upon reaching Munsyari.

A picture during my walk to the market.


A picture during my walk to the market.


Before reaching Munsyari

The day of Snowfall.


Clearing the rooftop for the wedding.


Peace

No description needed.

A view from the room.


The view of Panchachuli.

Platina enjoying her first snowfall. 

A view from Munsyari.

A picture of me during snowfall.




Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o