Skip to main content

Its my Gang of friends and another home away.

I was back in my country and soon started feeling pity and sad with all the crowd and the fast-paced life in my motherland. I knew that I had one of my homes at Siliguri and I started riding in that direction. I called Sanam but was not reachable, Samarpan wasn't audible on the phone either. So I just got there and stopped beside Sanam's house. 

His father walked towards the road while I was parked. I asked, Sir pehechaana? He says "kyon nahi par aapka sathi nahi hai." 

"Huh, kya Sanam nahi hai?" 

( I asked if he recognised me and he says why not and said, but your friend isn't here)

He had gone to attend a wedding in Nepal with his mother. When I decided to move on, Samarpan walked in. I asked him what's up with his phone and he said his mike was screwed. We decided to meet the rest of the gang, Dewash, Antony and his brothers. Dumped my luggage in Samarpans house, where I met his mom, a wonderful woman who was wheelchair-bound for a few years due to a stroke. She only spoke her own language and nobody else in her family wanted her anymore. Samarpan took care of her like his daughter while his father wouldn't bother. He had no hopes of making a life for himself.  

While we sat on the roadside, chatting in the evening, this guy comes running. It was Sanam. Bugger escaped from his mom halfway, had a good time with his girlfriend in Gangtok and was back home when the money got over. We were delighted to meet each other again. Then we planned to move on to the next level, as they decided to spend the night in a watchtower. We picked up some booze and walked to the watchtower in the middle of paddy fields. Most of the crop had been harvested and many were forced to harvest prematurely because of the elephant menace. We had what we needed for a fun night and it really was one. 

Except for one thing, holding on to the damn support less ladder every time, trying to take a leak.

The next morning we came down the watchtower. Sanam took me to his house and made breakfast since his mom wasn't back yet. We all went swimming in the river nearby and had a great time. That night I had no option but to sleep at Sanam's house. With the reputation he had in his house, it was very awkward for me to stay. Luckily when we reached home they were all asleep, so we went straight to the room and pulled the blankets over us.

I was set to leave the next day but my luggage was in Samarpan’s house, my bike at Dewash's house and I was roaming like it was my own village. Sanam forced me to have breakfast at his house and asked his mother to prepare Maggi. The way she reacted, I definitely did not feel like eating. They were speaking in their language but I could understand that his lifestyle and attitude pissed her.  She asked me if I would eat rice? I said, Sure. Something wasn't letting me eat there so I managed to sneak out to Samarpan's house saying I would be back before the food was ready and went to load my luggage. I ate a bowl of rice at Samarpan's house, prayed for his mother and asked Samarpan to tell Sanam that he forced me to eat there. We met on the road while Sanam was waiting angrily and I apologised to him and blamed it on Samarpan. They bid me a goodbye and I rode towards Varanasi. The Holy City of India. 

It was a 600-kilometre ride through Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. I camped two days, got the front brake fixed as I happened to stop at a hotel next to a garage and kept riding fast through the sad areas of our country where everything was polluted. From the food, they eat to the water they drink and the air they breathe. Most people still commuted on bicycles, grew their own grains and lived on them. I saw a little girl running to school shivering from the cold unable to afford a sweater while I was fighting to beat the same cold with at least 3 layers of clothing. I realized why people from there are known to be rigid, I understood. 

The Highway was a four-lane well-maintained road mostly used by Trucks and Transports, the land is vast and dry. Once I happened to go off the highway into a village, There was so much crowd there, I wonder how they managed to live. While passing a tea shop I stopped to order one asked a person nearby about the livelihood of the people? Their food habits? since I see any hotel around. He said, there was hardly any employment. With so much population and the land being dry they hardly managed to eat twice a day. People normally ate puffed rice or puri with tea for breakfast before going to work and in the evening with the money earned, they cooked a meal for the family. There were only a few brick factories that ran and every day they selected people from a crowd requesting work.


Related videos

https://youtu.be/-F_P9dj7lSo

https://youtu.be/N07XbbHtPPs

https://youtu.be/Dqeeza7-_qk

Photo Gallery

Antony's Family harvested crops.





Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o