Skip to main content

He said he was my fan. I said what!? I stood shaken, happy and drunk, All at the same time.

I have left bits of me in various places that I can visit anytime in the blink of my eye. As I rode on towards Dharamshala, I understood that the best part of my journey was over and I was coming back into senseless civilization and meaningless lives. 

I found a place to dump my luggage in a small crowded town and went out to visit the Dalai Lama monastery or the Kalachakra Temple. The place was lit with numerous lamps and was glittering like gold. The streets were filled with their traditional style of art and craft. 

The next day I started riding to Vaishno Devi temple in Jammu. My intention was to touch the last state on the north and  The Kutch of Gujarat on the west before returning home. After riding through the day, I reached Katra around 6 PM, I got my pass to enter the temple, left my luggage in a locker and started hiking.  When I saw food being served, i ate and continued to climb. This was where I realised I had become numb. I didn't feel any pain and was simply rushing ahead passing people in my own trance. 

After waiting for an hour, I was able to catch a glimpse of the three stones in the holy shrine, Mahakali, Mahalaxmi and Maha Saraswathi with the water flowing continuously through the rocks. On the spiritual side, there was a feeling of satisfaction, coming down the hill, there was a feeling of bliss. On reaching my bike around 3 AM after a 13-kilometre trek, I went to the locker and found out that it opened only after 6. My finances were low, I tried to rest near the bus station, but realised without proper rest the next day would be trouble. I found a sharing room at 250 and crashed beside another man. 

I left Karta in a hurry since my phone wouldn't work in Jammu and I was in no condition to buy a new sim card for a day. After 5 hours of sleep, I woke up and moved out collected my luggage and rode out of Jammu. I reached a junction where to my left was the road to Srinagar and Leh, I had just enough to reach back. I took a right turn and started riding down. 

On my journey down, I mostly slept in my tent beside the highway. The traffic, Pollution, and plastic waste everywhere started making me feel disgusted. I didn't buy any water bottles throughout my ride, just picked bottles from the road and filled wherever I found water. Sometimes when the bottles gave up or fell off the bike. I simply picked another and filled. 

With Kutch on the maps I was riding through Punjab and Rajasthan, There was nothing worth to visit nor I felt like exploring another place, it was just wide highways, people and pollution, I was coming down fast. Mahesh, a 27-year-old Biochemist Scientist hosted me in Jodhpur. Some people I met guided me to Karni Mata Temple, known as the temple of Rats and said It was auspicious to sight a white rat. I was just lucky enough to see one. Visited a site of Indus valley civilization and a Gow Shala, Shree Krishna Gopal Gauseva Samiti at Nagaur.

I reached the beautiful Kutch just when the sun was setting. I camped on the deserts of Kutch and ate my bread and omelette, which i picked for dinner. I had to push myself to wake up early to see the sunrise but reached the watchtower just when people were starting to walk back. Wasting no time I continued riding home. 

Nearing Ahmedabad I sent Joy a message. Joy from Guwahati! luckily, he was in Anand  and looked happy to host me. It was around 12 noon when I called him to realise he was another 275 kilometres away. I ate a super brunch at M.K. Mevada Hotel and twisted the throttle to reach his house around 6 PM. Wow, it's Joy. The pleasure of being welcomed with a drink of whisky was a joy indeed. Joy was living with his mom and wasn't new to me. I had lived for nearly two weeks in his room in Guwahati while waiting for my voter's id. He had a friend along, Akshay, a neighbour's son in his 12th standard. We drank while his mom made us some grand Gujarati food. Oh, I missed good food. 

 After Jammu, I was riding down fast covering an average of 300 odd kilometres every day making me dead tired and weak, without a good sleep or a good meal. His house felt at home. I spent 3 days eating, drinking and savouring some tasty Gujarat delicacies. Joy and Akshay took me around the city and to the grand Amul factory. I extended a day, enjoying too much of the comfort,  unable to say goodbye. 

That night around 10 PM, I got a call. Someone asking for me, if I was in Anand. I said yes. He said he was my fan. I said what!? I stood shaken, happy and drunk. All at the same time. He said, he was following me on social media for few months and when he saw my check-in at Anand, he  wanted to meet me and even rode that late to catch up. Dhaval Pandey and his friend, two young men in their post-twenties came and asked me about the ride and my life. We had a good conversation before it was too late for them to leave. He suggested I could camp at a beach before Mumbai.  

On the next day, I was back on the four-lane national highway cruising towards Kolhapur, to meet my destined brother from the road, the one who took me to the eastern border of India, Shohab Sheikh. At the blink of my eye i had That moment when we parted at Assam on the longest bridge of India, The Bupen Hazarika Setu.


Picture gallery

Joy In Peace.
My only fan. Dhaval Pandey

The place which Dhaval guided me to camp. 

Sunrise at Kutch.

At Karni Mata Temple

Joys Mother.

Auspicious White rat At Karni Mata Temple

Somewhere in Gujurat


At Karni Mata Temple


Mahesh's House in Jodhpur

Somewhere in Rajastan.

Camping in Punjab.

The Super meals at MK Mevada Hotel.

At Mahesh's House in Jodhpur.

At a museum near Indus Valley Civilization.

Sunrise at Kutch.

Karni Mata temple.

Rann of Kutch

At a museum near Indus Valley Civilization.

The food festival, at Jalandhar in Punjab.

At a museum near Indus Valley Civilization.

My space at Joys house in Gujurat.

A picture from the Highway.

At a museum near Indus Valley Civilization.


Official Partners -

Taimane Homestay and Farms, Coorg - https://taimanehomestayandfarms.business.site

The Indian Burgers, Kushalnagar - https://g.page/the-indian-burgers-kushalnagar?gm

Phalam Farmstay - https://g.page/phalam-farmstay?ad

Human Garage - For complete Men’s Clothing. Behind Kamal Chats, Kushalnagar

Organski Sunshine Homestay - https://www.instagram.com/organskisunshine/


Quick links -

Blog - A Traveller's Memoir

https://travellersmemoir.blogspot.com/2017/03/a-traveller-memoir.html

Google maps

https://www.google.com/maps/placelists/list/X5R-vvDmvo9PjVY6jb-xdhrT6v_HBw

Instagram

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=1ipxt05era6kc

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/akarshan.d.bhagwan

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17


Financial Support

https://travellersmemoir.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-sponsors-thankful-to-them-all.html


Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! metta



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o