Skip to main content

My Days at Meadows !!

It was my tenth day now, and I was left with just about 700 rupees, It was the longest I have sustained in this budget and to have travelled over 2000 kilometers It felt better and I knew tough times are ahead. 

I woke up at 8 and meditated for some time.  Meanwhile Nitesh kept my breakfast ready, three idlys and a vada with two types of chutney and sambar. I had only eaten a few biscuits and was craving for some food. As I finished eating we went to clean the rooms at Kairali, another cottage near fairy falls. I cleaned the rooms while he cleaned the washroom. The room was filled with buds of cigarettes and bottles of alcohol. We completed the task and went to have some chai while a couple called asking for a room. As we waited for them after the chai, they came in on a Royal Enfield machismo 500, we showed them to the room, collected the laundry and got back to Meadows. 

That evening Nitesh took us to his friend's place where two giant pit bulls welcomed us. They scared me at first sight, seeing that breed for the first time and having known them for being aggressive. As I got in, Kali a female and Brahma the male, well-trained pitbulls, holding back their power stood alert at their masters command. As we got along in sometime, 
One started feeling jealous as I massaged the other. Later I went into the kitchen trying to help Stephen at cooking while others sat out rolling joints and listening to music. It was a real fun night ending with some boiled rice, chicken and salad. 

Next evening I was talking to Savitha asking about her life. She is 3 years elder to me, and I call her chechi meaning sister in Malayalam. She was chasing fun for a few years now, A party woman who worked in Bangalore, Goa, and now was supposed to be working for hotel Ritz in Kodaikanal. She spoke about an incident when She reached Goa from Bangalore without cash by taking lift from trucks and by-passers taking 2 days to reach, partied there for about 9 days with her friends. But now she had a 3-year-old child back at home, separated husband, unable to make a career, living in with a temporary boyfriend, taking the time off from life.

I was thinking some quotes "Not everyone will have what you have", "I will try to be happy with what I have for the rest of my life"

 I understood these people were lost too. Later that evening her cousins called for rooms, We accommodated them at kairali and went to Babu mess to bring dinner for them. Babu etta was the cook, mostly seen drunk that we wondered how he cooked. We named him paambu meaning snake in Malayalam for his drinking habit. The food was tasty though, he made fresh and didn't use much additives.  I offered to heat the chapatis while he fried some kebabs and prepared egg curry. I heated about 40 chapatis and had my dinner after service.  We went to their rooms after dinner to smoke some cannabis oil and returned without any clue. 

It was the weekend, I woke up at 9 while the breakfast was ready, I had to bathe since it's been 3 days, and I was not stinking thanks to the Kodaikanal climate, doesn't let you sweat. Kodaikanal feels so pure in winter, one just needed to stay as far as possible from the town. Hills once covered in pine plantations, now filled with hotels and lodges for a radius of at least 20 kilometers, in the night one can see hills glittering on all sides. Riding in Kodaikanal at night is a colorful experience for many, while i pity the nature destroyed over years. Buildings built on the hills are all lit up and to ride through the narrow roads in the chilling weather is definitely a feeling to remember. The day was simply less productive, We checked in a couple at a guest house nearby for commission, delivered food and got back sipping some hot soup on the way. 

Days are now going slow and boring that once we make the guests comfortable in their cottages, then there is nothing much to do. Nitesh has bought a flute recently and is learning to play which kept us all entertained. It's now been a month and Everyone started asking where I would go next and how much would I be paid. Well,  I did not have any answers myself, so what would I answer them? You cannot expect anyone to understand your situation. Now, I am just thinking of getting on my foot to start walking in any direction even if I am not paid. They were all trying to pass each day making as much money as possible while I wondered what my future could be.


Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o