Skip to main content

Meadows - Beginning of my souls Journey

Hill stations are the best places to blend in with nature, to be surrounded by a million creatures, living so close to each other in harmony is a happiness many have stopped cherishing. This is the kind of life I need, I told myself. 

The bus was slowly climbing the Kodai ghats when my thoughts started haunting me again. What if the
given phone number is turned off or if nobody came to pick me? What do I do next? Would I have any cash left to go back home? I even thought of going to Palzhani, shave my head and then go back home if I was left alone.

I reached around 3 PM and called Nitesh, Shaju Ettas cousin who was supposed to pick me up. He came in a yellow scooter and took me to a lodge run by them. He showed me to my space where I rested the luggage before going out since he had some work in town. We had to book a horse for photoshoot, then fuel his Honda and later waited for a guest to make a payment. Meanwhile it started raining, as the rain slowed down, he took me to treat some hot tea and bajjis. Nice raw banana bajjis soaked in Tamilnadu style sambar. He said we will go later to collect the cash before getting back to the lodge. It was about 5 in the evening when I finally took a bath after two days, later sat by the window asking myself what next?

Meadows. The place where I will be living and working for the next few weeks. Everyday is not memorable but there is something in each day that makes it memorable. Nitesh Brother asked me to look after the place and left to Palakkad saying he would be back by the night. I was left all by myself to take care of the place after being here for just a day.

A couple staying in wanted dinner so he handed me some cash. I walked out to a mess nearby to buy 3 meals and 3 omelets. We ate together and they went to rest as I continued to read my novel. Suddenly, Shaju Etta calls to say there were two guests waiting outside. I went to greet them and showed the rooms. Well, They decided to stay and made the payment. It was Akarsh and Vimal. Akarsh had his own business while Vimal was working in Bangalore. They had driven about 400 kilometers from Kozhikode.

It was getting a little boring for me with nothing much to do all day. The guests were badly looking for some magic mushrooms as it was Akarsh's birthday the following day. I drove one of them to the town on their car to buy some booze and snacks which was really joyful, though I drove slowly, I could feel the Honda power waiting to thrust with throttle. Actually, They had poured themselves a few drinks which got me in the driver's seat.

Nitesh had to stay another night so it was just me and the guests in the lodge. I was trying to meditate but couldn't with my own disturbing thoughts, just couldn't focus. The guests went out for dinner and it started to drizzle, meanwhile I walked out to have my dinner before coming to the room. Later, they offered me a drink of vodka and started sharing their stories. Akarsh was in a relationship for 18 years and that girl married someone recently, which left him broken and looked like the pieces couldn't be joined forever. I tried to put some hope in before coming down to my room. 

Someone rang the bell at 7AM in the morning. A lorry had to pass and akarsh's car blocked their way. I went up to call him and wished him since it was his birthday. He sounded happy saying the girl called to wish him. As they packed and got ready to leave, I wished them luck in finding what they were looking for. Mushies. I had to pay him the balance but was unable to get change for a 2000 note and they were running late to meet someone, I went along to town and changed the big note to pay their balance while he gave me a 200 rupee tip and asked me to continue travelling. I was surprised to see someone handing me a tip of 200 rupees, it was my first earning since I started this journey. Walking back to the room, I hitchhiked for a little distance, ate about four idly's with two variety of chutney and sambar. It was already two days without a bath and the sun was shining bright, I picked up a few sachets of shampoo and coconut oil along. 

After washing my clothes and myself, I moved the bed to put it out in the sun which had some stains and fungus in one corner due to the moisture. I meditated on the grass outside for a while when the lady came to clean the rooms. This time she brought her little daughter along who was looking at me and staring playfully, Nitesh called to say he would reach by evening and there were no guests coming in.

A vegetarian meal at a roadside hotel costs 60 rupees and I am sure most people wouldn't finish so much rice. I thought to myself why couldn't they offer the same meal at 50 with lesser rice which would be sufficient for most. As I sat wondering, the lady finished her work and left.  I was alone again when the clock ticked about two in the noon.  I walked out to fill my hungry belly, wanted to eat something different today, on my way I found a biryani centre. I took a kushka for 40 rupees and a double omlette costing me another 20. I told myself that I had to cut that omlette but couldn't resist the love for food when i was really HUNGRY. For dessert I asked for a banana when he said it was 8rs each which was too expensive for a banana which I normally bought at 5rs in bangalore. 

I wanted to start posting my writing online to find some funding But was still afraid because I really didn't know how much longer I would survive. What if I was simply wasting these years and fail in making a future. Would I have a family or money to sustain myself? My thoughts made it worse but I was decided that I'm not moving for a month at least.

I was missing a lot of things. My Mom especially, she talking to the pets and running around the house all day taking care of our cows, dogs, chicken, cats, cooking inbetween for us all. She is a mad hardworking woman. Waking up at 5 in the morning to take care of so many lives, doing what she likes, she was the only one living happily in the house. My Dad loves his family and so was forced to love his job. We have our differences because he never tried to understand my passion but that's okay now. Nobody understands you better than yourself. He loves me a lot and I love him the same. Its really hard to get a father who hasn't even beaten me once after so many years. 

My friends Madhvi, Saji, Bhagat, Abhi, Shashank, Bharat, Arjun, Shrey, Naveen, Akshay, Karthik, Sheriff, Arshad, Waseem and so many people. I have a lot of friends, a few are the most important part of my life. I met Sheriff in Ooty because of whom I started loving motorcycles. He is one of the very few I can sit behind comfortably because Bugger used to pop wheelies with me at the back. Arshad another beautiful soul who is working in the ship currently. Once on the way back from Kotagiri he took a corner when we had a bus coming close on the opposite. Arshad stopped right in front of the bus with the bus also haulting with some hard braking, waking all the sleepy passengers and the driver put on a holy cross! These guys brought life into this body and for once i wanted to live. Otherwise Saji and Bhagat knew how I was during my school days, childish, pampered, alone and sober, no clue why they even gave birth to me, to live like a puppet for the entertainment of the family.

Most of my friends, though they knew it was a wrong turn, supported me well and are still holding on when I am down because they never got a chance to explore life with our tangled and misled, system and society. I wish I could meet all my friends at one place. I love them all and they mean a real lot to me.

Abhi was sad when I left Bangalore saying he would miss the ooty chicken curry I made. He used to be at our room atleast once every week. Bharat stayed at my place during every weekend for a year atleast. Shashank had rented a room next door and we partied there during every week off. School gang, office gang, college gang everyone got together, it was a good group of men having good times. For me, I was trying to save good relationships, that's all. 

It was jobless evening. Four guests have taken a room and needed to be moved to a cottage. I was waiting for Nitesh, for him to take them there. Inbetween I was writing about my journey to keep myself busy, not knowing if I would post my writings soon or if I would ever will. Who would like to read my story? But I needed a sponsor or some funds which can help me move ahead exploring the country. I don't have much money and my family doesn't want to support me travel. 

Nitesh and his girl friend reached at about 9 when the guests had left for dinner.  An hour later we went out to get some food, A ride in the night with freezing temperatures and me beating the cold in a jacket they gave.  We ate idly's and a half boil before packing some for Savitha too. 


---



Meadows - Kodaikanal 

---

Love the blog? Then fund the travel now!n

Contributions can be sent through Gpay or Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )


Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch


---


Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

YouTube

https://youtube.com/@TheAkarshanDevanand

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One!

Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o