Skip to main content

Assam is a home away from home.

Manas had made arrangements for my stay at his friend, Joy Joseph’s room. Joy was a Gujarati man in his forties, lived most of his life in the United States, continued to live there without a visa, even after their rules changed. He married someone whom he had dated for years, got separated and dated a new lady. When he got deported they froze all his funds and left him empty-handed at the age of 40. His struggle to make himself a life in India looked frustrating.

A lovely human being, an old monk man, thoughtful and full of life and experiences. He was trying his best to take things easy. His mother lived in Gujarat and he was working with Manas's brother in Guwahati. I stayed there for more than 2 weeks and I didn't feel uncomfortable even once. He used to leave in the morning without breakfast and come back to first make a drink for himself. We just drank, smoked, and cooked. I got my much-needed rest before riding ahead. In fact, I had stayed there as I was waiting for my voter id which had to come by courier all the way from home. Manas ' brother suggested I ride to Bhutan because it was not too far away and since I had no original documents with me, I got my parents to send them to me by courier. Not even the bike was transferred in my name. The Platina was bought for 12000 rupees last year with the money I had saved when the homestay business picked up. 

Back in college I used to work part-time at call centres during semester holidays and did promotions for Jack Daniels and Finlandia in the evenings for some extra money. Also used to lend money on interest until the great Tajuddin cheated me for almost 25000. 

Getting older, I felt useless living on my parents’ income. However, The homestay was ready and bookings started flowing, but with our rotten government officials I ended up losing what I earned that year. Not to forget the floods reducing the business with all my commitments open!

For the homestay, I had to get a signature from the local town police. I was asked to wait for a couple of hours and then they asked me to come back in the evening. I came home and told my father. He made a few calls and with a little expense, the SI himself came to inspect the place and stood like a monk for the picture. Another DYSP was more concerned about my long hair than the documents. He made me cut my hair before signing the document, later asked about my caste and said he belongs to the same and started speaking well. In one way I was happy as it ended in just a 50 rupees charge but was again made to buy files worth 500 for the station! I wrote everything on the PMO app and filed a complaint with Human Rights for making me cut my hair. 

For the first 2 days, I did nothing much but just smoke up. Washed my clothes and cooked, ate and drank in the evenings. One day Manas took me to his village. The villagers had arranged a grand send-off celebration to the retiring principal of the village school. It was so grand that they even brought an elephant to the feast. Another day he took me and Joy to a wedding of his colleague where we downed one beer and ate more than the relatives. Manas had got his friend's car to the wedding and it wouldn't open with the keys. After trying some stunts it clicked and we were out of that place. 

One day we drank at Manas’ place while his parents were away. Mrigien joined a few times making some time for us. He even gave me a novel on Dawood, Dongri to Dubai, when I asked for a non-fiction book. Ohh Guwahati, it feels more than my own damn house and I wouldn't think twice to move there any day. What more do you need than a few good people around and life feels worth living.

I started my bike and Joy was there opening the gate for me, I was bidding goodbye to another good friend. His place was very comfortable and he took care of all my expenses. I told him I hoped to see him in Gujarat and rode towards the ferry. Manas had arranged me for a talk with the class 10 students so I had to get there. I reached just in time for the ferry, which moved within 5 minutes after I got in, he guided me to the school once I reached the other side of the Brahmaputra. The Kendriya Vidyalaya was on the IIT campus hence had to show an id before I was allowed in. He came to the gate and took me inside the school and showed me around. I felt so young, the atmosphere took me back to my school days with the beautiful paintings on the wall and very beautiful quotes all around and the sounds of school. Wow.

 I entered and they all started, 'Good morning Sir.' I said. Just sit down guys, I’m no big teacher. Just here to talk. Gave them a glimpse of how life is, pushed them to do what they love doing, just gave an intro about me sufficient enough for them to realize what life lies ahead. When I was done they all cheered and some gave me chocolates. I Thanked them, came down to bid goodbye but it wasn't over yet. Bugger was about to finish work in 20 minutes so we decided to catch up for a tea before we said our goodbyes. In between, he locked me inside the computer lab so no one would disturb me as I made an authorization letter for the bike.

While I waited outside near a tea shop, I heard Malayalam suddenly, turned around to see a 6.4 feet man with long hair, and a well-built personality. I asked "Chetta Malayali aano." He said yes and we started a conversation there. He was married and living in the married couple hostel, doing his PhD in English along with a professor there. Basically from Kannur but had lived in Hyderabad and other places. He called his wife and introduced me to her and guided me to a place to find some weed. 

I thought of buying some pot before Manas reached but it wasn't available. Came back and waited at the gate for Manas and he came out in 5 minutes. He had company, the art teacher responsible for those beautiful paintings along with her daughter. He drove ahead and I followed him till we had to part. He showed me my way and he took his. Manas was definitely missed, from the deepest corner of my heart. Man who cares these days to give space to a nobody at home and feed him for weeks and even on this visit, he made me feel very comfortable at Joy's place. The food, the hospitality and Manas! Overall the best part of this journey. Pagal, Bevda, crazy. Best friends are best explained with slang! Like Bosadike :) Whatever but there was a lot of love and affection. Not knowing what's ahead and with a feeling of tears filling my heart I rode on.

It was about 3 pm when I started; I rode 60 kilometres and stopped for a meal. Lovely thali with 2 vegetarian side dishes. I asked for an additional omelette. Filled to the neck, I rode on. Not finding a place to camp in the daylight, I thought I would have to find a room. But luckily I found a place around 6:30PM and wondering if it was too early to camp, I rode back to the previous junction to try my luck for some food and weed. On reaching a cigarette shop I lit a smoke and casually asked about weed. He looked more than happy to help, he guided me to a place 3 kilometres ahead. I thanked him and rode according to his directions. He had said, a long bridge and a Shiva temple. On finding the place, like he said ask any shop, I tried but the reaction wasn't good. Tried another shop and he asked me, how much. I said hundred and handed him the cash. He asked me to wait and then came back with 2 small pouches. I took it and came back to the place I had found to camp. Pitched the tent, smoked a joint and slept like a baby.

The whole village gathered to farewell the retiring principal.


Platina crossing the great Bhramaputra

Mera Pyara Pagal Dost, Manas Nath. 

 A picture from Manas village. 

Joy's room in Guwahati




Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o