Skip to main content

Best day off road of my whole life, love at first sight and thugs stealing your tent, All in one day!

I was up and set to leave at 8:00 AM. I didn't feel like eating anything so I started riding towards Reiek. As I rode through the winding roads, three bikes passed me. One deo with a GoPro facing backwards followed by a duke and a Dominor. I simply twisted my wrist, throttling up and started riding along. Without trying to overtake I stayed right behind them bending through each curve. We stopped at a place ahead and turned out even they planned on camping at Reiek. I asked if I could tag along and they said yes. We rode to the parking area when one of them said there was an off-road to reach the top and we hit it up.

The path was so slippery that they all left their bikes halfway. I was already ahead so I continued. The path only got worse with me pushing, pulling and falling again and again. I was done at one point. The bike simply skidded and came down rather than going up. I even crashed hard and broke the right side mirror. Luckily the brake york was intact or I would have lost the front brakes too. After one point, I turned the bike off, lit a cigarette and got the luggage off. Pushed the bike to a side, parked it and carried the luggage up. Something was not letting me give up yet. I came down again to start and ride upwards but I just kept falling over and over again. I parked the bike, went up again and pitched the tent with the boys from Mizoram that I had met earlier. Arranged some firewood and the party started. Good music, the local arrack 'Zu', roasted chicken and potatoes. We had a great time. They sang so well, they made justice to belong to the rock capital of India. We drank till about 3 in the morning and then slept.

The first thing I did after waking up was taking the keys and reaching for the bike. The sun shined but the place was still slippery. I slipped twice while walking down to the bike. Before starting, I reduced the air a little on both tyres and yet, she was screaming loud. I wasn't giving up and she was just doing her best. Suddenly, as I managed to pass through the rough patch, I shouted in Joy. Yeah! accomplishment. After riding for years and having a love for bad roads, that day put me to my extreme and I lost count on the number of falls I took. I told the bikers I would stay back another day and they left. People who trekked up were amazed to see a bike parked on top. There was another road for trekkers so very few took the motorable road. I ate noodles and rode up to the peak for the breathtaking view. It was worth every fall. Took a few pictures and came back to the tent. My body ached due to the falls from yesterday. I had a glass of Zu and slept. 

In the evening I rode to the peak to watch the sunset. There were a few people but I was the only one on the bike. I was totally lit. Even the ride from the tent to the viewpoint wasn't easy. Being a Saturday, having so many people come and go, nobody even tried to ride up there. In fact, I wanted to listen to another bike screaming to climb up but all I saw was bikers walking up with their helmets hanging.

Something strange happened that day. When I reached, there was a couple taking pictures like crazy. I watched them for a while but my mind felt funny and I turned around to see a beautiful woman staring at me. We were in love at that moment. I felt so awesome. She brought back that feeling of love inside me. They offered booze and I had some, tried to stay away from her but she came sat next to me. We had these moments where we both just looked at each other and it felt so beautiful. I still remember this moment when I sat facing the mountains and she came to sit behind me. When I tried to get up, our bodies touched, Oh, that feeling of blood rushing in my heart, it was beautiful. The sun set and our love story too; I simply zipped up my jacket and rode down like a gentleman. Didn't even ask her name or say a goodbye, I simply left.

Saving myself from falling again I reached the tent to scream out loud, "I’m alive" and disaster struck. Some thugs had torn my tent and taken my bag along with my chargers and power bank, leaving the sleeping bag and clothes behind. To experience that, right after falling in love, it was like a balance. There was no point in reacting, I simply curled up in another corner of the tent.

The next morning I packed up and started riding down. It wasn't easy but I didn't fall much. I rode downhill as steady and slow as possible holding on to my experience. Luckily, with just a few falls, I reached down. I rode to Aizawl trying to find a charger for my phone but for my bad luck, none of the shops was open on Sunday. The whole city that was as busy as a bee throughout the week was on a complete halt on Sunday. Trying to find something to eat was a challenge too. I rode around the town looking for a charger but failed, went to Michael's house, even that was locked. I went around asking if I could just charge for some time but was denied. When I realized there was no point, I rode on to Sialsuk to camp for the night. It was another valley surrounded by nature, and I was the best in my own company.

I reached the town to get the bike fixed, I had to replace a york to put back the mirror, change the bent handlebar and finally, got an additional light fixed. Bought a cheap bag, a power bank and a charger and moved towards Agartala. Damn rules of Aizawl. Bike numbers ending in 1 or 2 cannot ride on Mondays. What kind of a rule is that? So, many people are forced to own two bikes.  A cop stopped me and asked me to pay a fine of 400. I explained my story and he took me to his senior before letting me ride on. That evening I reached Kumarghat and stayed in Chakraborty guest house. A comfortable stay at just 300 rupees. 

I patched the tent with glue and stitched it on the inside and reached Agartala the following day. I visited the Jagganath temple in town and found myself a stay at 300. The next day, visited Tripureshwari Temple, neer mahal and Paghla Mashi. Pagla Mashi is an old person starving himself to death and people have now considered it a temple. After staying for another day in Agartala, I rode to Unakoti.

Unakoti is unique. According to mythology, Shiva asked his followers to wake up and start before sunrise on their travel, but everyone overslept and only Shiva continued. When he left, he cursed that all Gods become stones. The place has gigantic carvings of Ganesha, Shiva and gods and goddesses carved on the rocks. This place has a unique vibe.


Related Video links

https://youtu.be/HbBYWMCNe2I

https://youtu.be/0RBLSFcn9ms





A selfie on top of Reiek. Mizoram

Reiek. Mizoram



Ride till no roads. Reiek. Mizoram


Unakoti, Tripura

Sunset at Reiek. Mizoram


Somewhere in Tripura

One of the Most Unique carvings in India, Unakoti. Tripura

One of the Most Unique carvings in India, Unakoti. Tripura

Chakraborty Guest house

Neer mahal at a distance

camped on top of Reiek





 Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o