Skip to main content

Hyderabad is all about eating till our stomach bursts!

The Biryani, Seetaphal icecream, Irani Chai

Rajinikanth took me out for lunch and treated me to some Nawabi delicacy, Hyderabadi dum biryani. I wanted to try at a local place and he took me. The tender meat, the flavour of spices, with a touch of masala, served with kebab and dhal. It was the feeling of satisfaction. If you want to know the value of food, feed a traveller. He bought me Seetaphal ice cream for dessert, which I wasn't a fan of at first but started liking the flavour of the fruit with the taste of milk.

Rishoo Mittal visited our home last year, through Couchsurfing. I remember taking him around Coorg, on the Jawa. Later, He referred me to Dom and Enoch who stayed at the homestay. Dom promised to buy me a Hyderabadi Biryani and Irani chai when I visited Hyderabad. We caught up in the evening for a lavish, full to the brim luxury restaurant dinner. Dom had Rotis with gravy while I and Enoch finished one mutton biryani each and ordered another. He managed to finish most of the second but I couldn't. I said I was too full when Enoch said, 'Do you know how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time'  and then Dom added some more jeera rice and I was done. I was so full, I just couldn't look at the plate and apologized for not being able to finish. 

The Irani chai! ”vaisa chai, zindagi me na piye miya”( I haven't tasted a tea like that my whole life). So rich and sweet, more like a dessert than a tea. Coming from a place where we drink chai to stay awake, this chai was a dessert, promising enough to put one to sleep. It had something like condensed milk or milkmaid making it taste out of the world. Promises being saved, they gave me a thumbs up to keep going. 

Dom had Irish and Chinese ancestry, was a corporate turned drummer, had his drumming studio in Hyderabad. He had a connection with Coorg too with one of his grandparents living near virajpet, a long time ago.

Enoch Joy, a combination of technology and brains, having a career with Facebook in the past, started his own company which didn't work out well. He now teaches core technology. All I can say is Big Brains with a passion for fishing and he was leaving on a fishing trip the next day. 

The next morning, I started towards Puri and Bhubaneshwar. Rajinikanth suggested a place called Papikondalu near Badrachalam. I was 60 kilometres away from Badrachalam where I had to take the deviation to Papikondalu. The place is an island, can be reached in a few hours on the boat. I stopped to check online and it said they allowed only on prior online booking which cost around three thousand rupees. I checked with people around, even they said the same. At that point, It was not affordable. I moved on.

I fell sick with a fever the next day. By now, I had lost most of my fat, was living with a routine of two meals a day and there was barely enough energy. The body felt weak, with pain through the spine from the bike's vibration. I camped at around 12 30 and slept in the hot sun. I was sweating so badly that my clothes got wet. Waking up in the evening, I made some porridge, ate and slept again. I could use the sleeping bag only when it was too cold, It heats up so much, there is no need for it in South India.  I was feeling a lot better when I woke up the next morning, luckily no body pain.  I packed up and rode ahead. 

Early ride, fit and fine, left the coast and took the forest. 

I was guided through Rajmundry and Vishakapatnam by the maps but I noticed a road parallel to it going through Jeypore in Odisha keeping me off the coast and highways. I changed the route to ride through rivers, mountains and agricultural lands.  Unlike Coorg where we fill up the paddy fields with water before planting, here the land is wide and flat and the water doesn't flow through the fields. The beautiful part is when it rains it fills up the place and these people simply plant rice wherever the land is wet. 

Odisha is one of the most beautiful states I've visited so far. Nature’s at its best. I found beautiful places to camp and nobody bothered. It has a distinct culture of its own and the people are a charm in the rural areas. They didn't mind sharing their space and mostly didn't even bother to come to enquire seeing me camped.



Rajinikanth at the Biryani house


A selfie with Enoch, Dom and myself after the mega dinner.


Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o