Skip to main content

A poor man's first enemy is HUNGER

Yesterday was my birthday! Nitesh got me a choco lava from Dominos to celebrate. I went to a temple before bath and another one after. The day went as usual with cleaning a room and resting. I felt bored today and it was different, i was missing my friends, my motorcycles, my room. I woke up when I heard a guy calling Nitesh etta. When I asked him he said he wanted water. I went with them showing the way and got tipped with 5 rs. That guy said he had plans to do  business in Kodai. First he asked for cannabis, then for any other illicit substances and even asked if he would get a woman. I really didn't know what to say. I got furious and asked him not to ask the same to anyone around. On Saturday 18th March, my schoolmate Pankaja had wished me for my birthday in the morning. She wishes me every year as hers falls the next day. So stoned, thankfully I did not forget to wish her back. Later had breakfast and accommodated guests in Kairali.


Came to the room and rested for a while and went out for lunch. Babu etta had another mess near the suicide point. Its was my first visit there,  we normally ate in his kitchen. Kerala rice with cabbage fry, pickle, a fish and some salad. Took a parcel for chechi and got back. While they went out in the evening, I decided to take a walk which i did normally. I went to a church nearby and listened to a pastor singing songs about god. It was just me the pastor and another person in the old church.

I remember Abhi asking me not to mention any names. I realized that now. Every person has a dark side and when you share it, they may get offended. For me, I want to explore the dark side because after all we are all the same and with situations we sometimes choose to be evil or are forced with this present world. 

Shaju Etta reached Kodaikanal yesterday. Feels good to be around him, a good vibe.  Nitesh and I cleaned the water sump. He got inside and started passing buckets of dirty water while I threw it out. Later, I washed vessels which were used months ago and left without cleaning. One vessel had a thick layer of algae, while another had a family of earthworms living in it. I have been passing the days but have been stuck in one place. Looks like I won't be paid while I am here, there was hardly any business and I was taken good care of with food and stay, couldn't ask for more. I asked Nitesh to ask Babu Etta to let me work till this season ends.

My mornings are better the last few days. Starting the days with Suryanamaskara and meditation helps stay positive and empty minded. I am getting lazy everyday and from now I have to start planning. I want to take on every chance I get. Right now I will try at the mess and with Prem who has leased out a cottage nearby.

I am learning a lot of things from the people around me  and I see a need to change myself, but I don't see a fault in being the same. We all worry about our possessions and that is what has created most of the worry. One who has nothing to lose, will try to cherish whatever he finds.

I cooked today after quite a long time. I have cooked for a lot of people in my college days and its one thing i feel happy doing. Nitesh and I shopped for the necessary ingredients. I made Ragi porridge with milk, honey and banana. For dinner, rice, sambar, omelet, and potato fry. The meal I was really waiting for. All the dishes came out well and they liked it. I usually cannot eat when I cook, but today I had enough to fill myself.


Woke up with a good news today! I had sold my Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 for this tour and the guy who bought kept delaying  payment for months, finally paid. Thanks to Maddy for chasing him down and getting my cash. When i decided to travel, at first even i wanted to do it like any traveler with enough funds, on a motorcycle. Since my parents were not happy about my idea, they said no money! i decided to sell the bike and my onkyo home theater since i was leaving Bangalore for good. Disaster struck when the guy who bought the bike delayed my payment, i had asked my mother if she needed anything since i would be away for a long time, and she said she needed some money to drill a bore well, my Idea was to travel on the jawa which was in the garage and needed some advance. With commitments piling up, days going one by one, I had to take the train and start at my will. When i said i will travel for three years all over India starting with just 3000 rupees, my own friends stood dumbstruck. 


 I made porridge for Savitha, she said she was feeling tired and sick and was struggling to walk, while Nitesh played the flute on the other side of the bed without bothering. I went with Nitesh later to accommodate a few guests. They wanted chicken to be marinated. While we shopped for some essentials we had lunch,  Awesome fish biryani and a fish fry. Had it to my fullest. In the night Vipin chetta, Mani anna and Sajiv Anna had come, and it was a blast. I couldn't understand most of the conversation though. I had made a fry with chicken parts and its neck which were taken out from the marinated chicken. Heated the chapatis and sambar from the previous night.

  

I feel good today, woke up at 8, after  suryanamaskara and a good shower I went to the temple. They had asked to join as it was the 48th day ceremony after the Kumbabhishekam. Came and made porridge and washed vessels with Nitesh's help. Earlier I had asked Shaju etta to get me some job for a couple of months, he had spoken to the owner at Altaf cafe in Vattakanal. Nitesh said he would take me. We first went to Kairali and cleaned the rooms and went to Vattakanal. They were serving food at Goddess Badrakali temple, we decided we eat on the way back.


"Sorry its off season.I have enough workers" he said. Didn't expect much. We returned and had food at the temple.  Lovely Kesari bath made with pineapples, raw banana fry, sundal, sambar sadam and puliogare. A happy meal in the noon. We were among the very last to get all the dishes they served. When I went to take food for Savitha just the Sambar sadam was left.


I meditated for sometime in the noon :) started feeling hungry again at 4 in the evening! A poor man's first enemy is HUNGER.


Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o