Skip to main content

Where did this restaurant captain come from

The last few days have been busy. Guests, cooking and cleaning have been my routine. I am cooking now which is keeping me alive. They like my food too. Ragi porridge is now the top on breakfast, yesterday was dosa. Savitha made cabbage fry, drumstick fry and curd on tadka for noon.
Yesterday officials had seized a water pump at Kairali. We were not allowed to draw water from the stream that passed beside the cottage. Buggers just came and broke the pipes and took the motor. Nitesh and I stood helpless. Later Shaju Etta made some calls, and they simply kept the motor and left. In the evening we got a plumber and fixed the motor back. This time not connecting to the stream though.

Received a mail yesterday from a consultancy in Goa for an opening in Dubai and Canada. It sounded interesting as it was for a travel desk manager. They had a fee too. I mailed them asking if I could make the payment if I got selected? His reply sounded fishy and i simply ignored it.

I made a curry for the afternoon with the chicken which was not used by the guests. It had all the masala so making a curry was easy. Savitha has also started to join me while cooking, but I always prefer to cook alone. I am like that. Cooking, for me, is about feeling what the person is going to feel when served.

The next day started okay, had a few guests in Kairali. We dropped by at babu mess, met the guests and came back. While I asked Babu Etta if he needed a helper he said he already got someone.

Savitha was talking about her party experiences and the rides she went. She was explaining how a DJ room was set up in a nearby cottage. It was soundproof and had LED, also the machine that created smoke. All I thought was how could she still be thinking about party and the madness when her child is back home growing without his parents. She doesn't look like she is concerned about him. I was losing the respect I had for her. Went to town with Nitesh to draw some cash and bought some veggies. While we returned we had chai with bajjis. He chose chilly while I took potato.

I had washed the vessels in the morning, Savitha made lunch and Shaju Etta bought fish and put the masala while I fried it later. Noon was lazy, in the evening I asked Mani Anna if he could help me. He made a few calls and said he will find something for me. I told him I would be leaving in a week if I don't get an option.

When he got to know I cook, he asked me to make the chicken dish at our neighbouring cottage. There were a group of 5 men who were there to booze. It was just Kanna Anna, the guy who looked after the cottage was cooking while the others just drank. We had to make dhal fry, chicken and heat 40 chapattis. The chicken wasn't getting cooked so I had to put it in the cooker. Finally, when chicken and dhal was ready Shaju etta was back, I had to make dinner for them too, just needed to fry the fish. I asked kanna anna to continue with the chapattis and went back. It was already ticking about 12 while we finished dinner and slept.

The alarm rang at 7 as usual, I pushed myself out of the bed at 8. After my regular warm-up, washed a pile of vessels from yesterday. I had to cut my hair and bath for sure. We went to Kairali and while we came back Nitesh dropped me at the salon. I borrowed 100 rs, said I would take a walk back. I got my hair cut real short, got back and had porridge which she had prepared, washed my clothes and took a bath. It was already time to cook, made a sambar, potato fry with pappad, rice and curd, a perfect home-style meal, while I sat on the chair I slept for a while, woke up and took a walk in the evening for about an hour and a half. I reached back and made rice, egg burji and the rest was left from noon.

Slept late last night, now it was about 7 40 when I pushed myself out of bed. I had an interview for a cook. Mani anna got me connected to a resort yesterday, and they asked me to give a demo. After having breakfast Nitesh Etta dropped me at the hotel. I entered and met Mr Selvam and Mr Nair. They were the managers for the front office and operations. While they asked me about my cooking experience I told them I cook well but do not have prior experience cooking at hotels. I made Pattal and chicken fry. Later while giving a brief about myself, they were impressed. They asked me to join restaurant management and assist in other departments when needed. I was pleased and while they asked about expectation I told them, I did not have anything in mind and needed the job for a month or two. For them, the season was for a month, they agreed. They said they will decide on the salary in three days based on how I work. The Hotel Jem Valley had 33 rooms and a restaurant with 28 pax capacity. They asked when I could join, and I said tomorrow.

I rode with Shaju Etta in the noon and had sweet corn and coffee while Nitesh and Savitha had gone to Gundupatti. I loved riding pillion on the Himalayan. I would say it's one of the best rides for our country. Especially for someone like me who would take on all kinds of roads. I missed my ride. Jawa is another motorcycle which can go everywhere, also one can take some good corners. No comparison to the Himalayan as it's a modern beast with a 400cc engine with enough power and torque to take on any roads keeping its weight in mind.

Walked to a few temples in the evening. Told my mum about the job, she sounded happy too. I took a long walk and came back. Nitesh bought vegetables. Savitha made a sabji and soya bean fry while Shaju Etta heated the chapatis. We 3 shared a beer, had dinner and listened to some classic music. I knew I would miss them all. We had good times together and got pretty close in a short time. I am sure I will miss this place and the people cannot be forgotten for one lifetime.


Woke up at 8 and got freshened. I was late already, was feeling sad on the inside to leave meadows. As i walked out Shaju Etta, hands me a 2000 rupee note. I denied it and said I would miss them all and will always be thankful for sheltering when I needed it at the most crucial time of my life, adding hope to me. The love and respect for them are eternal. I bid them goodbye and Nikhil Etta dropped me at the resort and my first day starts. Selvam Sir briefed me and went out with Nair Sir. I came to the restaurant and started to know about how things work here. Vijay and Raghu were taking care of service while I handle the system and billing. We have to step in for each other in the absence of any. Lawrence is the assistant cook as the head chef was on leave. He is a 35-year-old handicapped bachelor. He is a good man and speaks well.

Our managers were back and Selvam sir gave us a lecture for an hour and a half about the process to be followed. We were exhausted by the time we left his cabin. It was a little more to take on my first day. I had lunch with Lawrence. Vijay came and took me through the system and gave me a brief on how things are done. Later I helped in cutting some veggies and sat on the chair continuing my writing. It ticked to 5:15 in the evening when I stopped.

We just had one order to be delivered for dinner. I took the order and Raghu delivered it. we were informed to take the closure stock of all goods every night. This is a new job for me and playing many roles is challenging and a new experience. We were the last ones to go to bed. I spoke to my parents, everyone from meadows and my then-girlfriend and rested for the night.



Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o