Skip to main content

A common mans daily life

I have to wake up early now, my mother's message is the first thing I read every day, feels good. The alarm rang at 6 and I forced myself out after 10 minutes. It is Ugadi, our new year. I wished my mom and my friend, reaching the restaurant by 6.45, had black coffee to kick start myself, We had two guests on continental plan and another who would check out. While one breakfast was asked to be sent to the room, the other said they would come to the restaurant. A couple came last, I served them and cleaned the table while Raghu was away and had my breakfast.


Raghu wanted to leave in the noon today. Hence I had my break till 2. I decided to visit a temple and started walking down from the resort. I asked for a lift and a lady in a Maruthi 800 stopped. She was in her 50's but energetic and had a class. She dropped me near Ganapathi temple in Naidupuram. Since I had time I decided to go to the Bhadrakali temple I had seen en route. Started walking again and another person dropped me there. While I was done there, I recollected the Kurinji Andavar temple. It's a famous temple built by an English lady in the 1930s dedicated to Lord Muruga and was built after the one in Palani. I started walking and saw a Mahaveer Jain temple, paid my visit and reached the Kurinji temple by walk. After taking the blessings of Muruga I waited for lunch as the board read they would serve at 12 30. While I waited I met two old men, in their 60's, Shivanathan and Pichaiperumal. I had a conversation with them while a couple were having their photoshoot. Perumal sir collected an extra token for me while I stood in the line. They dropped me on the main road which was about 2 kilometres, I took their number and said I would call when I visit Srirangam.


I reached the resort just when a guest was checking in. I called to check if they needed lunch, the lady on the phone said they would eat out. It was just me and Lawrence brother sitting jobless sharing our stories. He had worked in many places but he could not make enough money. Unmarried and handicapped he feels sad for himself, He had 4 brothers and a sister. One brother was killed and the rest all were married and lived with their families. He said his father worried a lot about him wondering about his future and even cried telling this to someone they mutually knew.


People these days just want to get rich and try to show off that they are living a grand life but who knows what each one is actually living. Most time of their life is gone in saving the lifestyle. Why do we show off when we know we are living like the one next door. The poor live better lives, in fact, all they have is the knowledge they gain and themselves, their body as a machine. nothing to hide or to be afraid of precious things, getting stolen. The problem starts when we start taking possession.

I had seen a mother in a restaurant when I was in Bangalore. She had her daughter next to her but was busy with her mobile. Every time the kid went to her she tried to ignore and concentrated more on her phone. that way, I am a lucky man because my parents gave their time and guidance, put me on the right path, making life tough for me though. They still love me like I am a child. God bless the present and upcoming generations with the internet of things replacing emotions, love and guidance to survive.


The day starts early here. Reached the restaurant at 6.45 and looked into the details for the day. We had one room with Continental plan and two with European. The menu was dosa, poori, bread with butter or jam and omelette. Raghu came in at 7, I called the guests to check their time of arrival. A family who came last night liked the food so they came for breakfast too. The sad part was that the system was down and I was new at taking orders. The managers themselves orders like guests in between. It was just 4 rooms but they all came at the same time and we had to do both, taking orders and serving too with Raghu alongside backing me up.



I still don't know what exactly was my job description. The manager had asked me to take orders, get the boys to serve and help take the closure stock in the night. These guys were making me do the opposite. Unlike other resorts, here they took count of stock every day. Since we were running out of boys I had to play many roles and even step in for other departments. I take orders, serve, even clean the tables. Yesterday Ganesh from maintenance needed a hand to hold a ladder while he fixed some lights and I was there.

Last two days the chef was on leave and today while I was in the kitchen he had a problem with me. I simply walked out and later when I asked Raghu to do the clearance for a room he wanted me to do it. I got pissed at the moment and told him it was his job to do. Some people just get on our heads for being silent.

He wanted his break post-lunch, I took mine after breakfast. I went and cleaned the room which was a disaster, the bathroom too, Washed my clothes and took a bath. While I started walking towards a temple the hotel car was leaving with the managers. They dropped me off at the temple. I did my prayers and while I walked back I stopped at another, When I came out of the temple the car came back to reach the resort. I came up for lunch and relieved Raghu. I did service for the managers and had a few bills to be generated. later, when I was jobless, continued my writing.


A driver came asking for food, I checked with Lawrence and he asked me to serve. He was from Bangalore residing in Vijayanagar. I told him I studied in Rajajinagar. While I served him lunch, the chef came from his break and again had a problem with me. He said no food for staff or drivers after 2.30. I did not want to explain. I just said ok and continued.


The next 2 days are going to be busy. Today we have 5 rooms and the number would go up for the next couple of days. The place has a good view of mountains and is located in a corner of Kodai so it attracts a good number of guests.



Later that night to take the closure stock, Swami was back from his leave, he's good to help. Raghu was giving me random numbers which irritated me. When I tried telling him to be precise the chef got wild and bounced at me yelling, I am not supposed to tell him anything. Thankfully I kept my calm and asked him what was wrong. He was drunk and any word from me would have just made it worse. I again left it to Karma and smiled inside myself. Raghu is 2 years younger than me, he wanted to buy a four-wheeler and drive for a living. If he can't put any effort into what he's doing, man survival is tough. I would be wrong to say anything today. He might end up being another drunk someday with people supporting him for his mistakes. I knew I was not wrong so I just ignored and continued my job. Talking to an old friend later brought back my good vibe and it helped me end my day with a smile. 

I asked Raghu to take a break in the morning because I had some work and bugger is asking me to finish my work in the noon since he wanted to take a break post-lunch. While I tried to bill a guest for a bottle of water the computer hanged, I later realized the paper roll was over and hence the bill wasn't getting printed. I changed the roll and took the bill while I ended up billing for 4 bottles.  I had to walk down to Selvam sir and he deleted the bill. I again went up to bill but ended in billing 6 bottles as he had only deleted the bill but the order was still there. I came down again and thankfully he helped in sorting the issue without any hassle.


I am asked to add the stock list to the computer and send a report every day to the owner. While I did that Selvam sir called me to his cabin as he was interviewing 2 boys for service. For a moment it took me back to the days while I worked with Abhi. I had not expected Selvam sir to ask me to interview the boys, I felt good. I asked them a few questions and a brief about them, they were doable and I put the decision on Sir. He asked them to give a trial for 2 days and see if they could handle it. The resort is located at a steep area, so walking around is tiresome. He explained the same to the boys.


when I got back to the restaurant there was an order, I billed the dishes and did the service. The moment I left the tray down and he asked me to wait and handed 5 notes of 10. I was high. My first tip here and 50 rs for service is a good tip indeed. I took clearance for the previous meal served since Raghu had not taken it, came down and Nair sir called me to take a count of plates and items in the restaurant. I went up, took the count and handed him. He screwed me saying there was a lot of things missing and gave me back the list. I started only 3 days back and how would I know where all the items went. There were a few damaged too. Nair is one unsatisfied man in the resort and will have a comment on everyone's task. He wants things to be done the right way but with the current employees and the organisational structure, it is pretty impossible. Everyone hates him. Once Prabakaran and he got into a literal fight. I don't bother much with the comments. If it's my fault I apologize and when I am not responsible I just ignore it.


It was already past 4 in the evening while I finished adding the stock and came for lunch. I sat with Brother Lawrence after lunch while he was sharing his past. They had some land, an own house earlier but now his parents are staying in a rented house while his brother took care of them. One of his brothers was killed under a truck and all they were told is that he was sleeping under the truck due to the summer heat and the driver went over him by mistake in the morning. All people heard was the sound "amma" and he was gone.


As soon as I took the plate the phone rang in the restaurant, I left my plate and answered, It was Kathir from the reception asking if there was eucalyptus oil or any medication for headache or cold for a guest. The resort did not even have a medical kit. I told him that I could lend the oil I had for my personal use but would need it back. I gave it to the guest and came down, had my dinner and slept for the day.






Like the blog? Then support the blogger

You can contribute through Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Or

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

https://instagram.com/akarshandevanand?igshid=ZDdkNTZiNTM=

YouTube

https://youtube.com/user/TheAkarshan17

Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One! Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o