Skip to main content

To see a future, I was afraid of becoming one among them.

My name is Akarshan Devanand, I am a passionate traveller with a heart for motorcycles. I love exploring my Life, enjoy whatever life had in for me, the love for my country, to explore the art of living from its people, places and to relish the spices of delicacy from all around the corners.

I worked at call centres for pocket money during college, later I started working in the recruitment industry with my good friend Abhinandan, then a vacation rental website Tripvillas. Unable to find a joy in what I wanted to do forever, I used to quit in less than 6 months. That's when an intuition hit me saying I did not belong there. I decided to follow my instinct and live the dream of my life, to travel across India on my 1971 Jawa (which is still in the garage) for the next 3 years to put myself to test and to understand how it feels to be on the road without money for a adventure of my lifetime.

I grew up in Coorg and Ooty, always surrounded by nature and smiling people but over the years i could see them both losing their beauty in all people and places. When i reached Bangalore it was rare to even find someone to smile when you saw each other randomly. I struggled to make myself a living and to think about living there forever gave me nightmares.

People having no value for themselves, giving up on their life and happiness, running for just money and luxury when there was no life or happiness at all no matter how much you earn, you were mostly surrounded by people who's waiting to grab your position or take your money. It was getting too hectic trying to live their way and I needed to be clear of what I wanted to become in future. It is when I challenged myself to see how long I could sustain on a journey without money. If a day comes for me to beg is the day I will return I thought. leaving everything aside I simply quit my job and left with a backpack convincing everyone at home telling that I would be traveling for another 3 years. What happened next is what you are going to enjoy in this blog.

This blog is for all like me who felt being caged their entire life, for those who still want to live with humanity and for who want to quit everything and chase their passion without a clue of what is ahead. If I can succeed so can you and to be frank I am not afraid of losing because i have nothing to cherish anyways. Live happy or don't live at all, that's how I want to live.

Well, I hope to find people who can host me,allow me to camp wherever possible and I'm ready to take up any kind of jobs that would help me keep moving.

A NEW LIFE STARTED HERE

Thanks to Madhvi, Shreyas and Karthik for bringing me on time to the cantonment railway station and for finding me a seat in the crowded general compartment. My Jawa wasn't ready yet so I decided to start on 27th February 2017 without wasting any more time. 

I reached Kanyakumari after 20 hours of surviving the overcrowded train with dirty toilets of our Indian Railways. As soon as I got off, I started walking around Kanyakumari asking people if I could get a job for weeks or a month because I hardly had three thousand rupees in hand. The luggage was heavy too and the inexperienced traveller started hitting reality very soon.  I took a room for 350 rupees, left my luggage and continued my persuit after a cold shower.  I asked at most places I passed by, starting from hotels to mess and all shops and offices. A few wanted me to work for longer, a few paused to listen my story and a few simply denied saying they didn't need an extra hand. I started realising that it was a bad decision and I did not expect to start realizing it on my very first day. That evening, I simply sat by the window watching the sea, with a heart full of emotion, asking myself, WHY?

My second day started with a visit to the Vivekananda memorial, After spending some time at the beach, I continued asking people to offer me work for few days but was tired by noon in the hot sun, slowly running out of cash I Understood I was a failure. Suddenly I started searching for a full time job when I came across an HR firm Hinduja solutions in Marthandam. I called them and he asked me to meet him at 11 the next day. After leaving Kanyakumari I visited the Nagaraja Temple in Nagercoil, Padmanabhapuram palace and a Bonsai garden before reaching Marthandam.

Walking my way to the interview location, I decided to stay nearby and took a room for Rs 150, had food at hotel Amma who sold parottas at just Rs 10. Bought some bananas and returned to sleep. I know one cannot get a comfortable place at that rate but the mosquitoes did not let me rest at all. I tucked myself into the sleeping bag but the heat was soaking me in my own sweat. I woke up to try and sue them bloodsuckers but there were so many that they outnumbered the crowd in a stadium.


I got ready the next morning, ate a few dosas before going to the consultancy. The interview went well for me, a person named Sunil spoke and said he will call back in a few hours. I Asked him if there were any places to visit nearby, so he guided me to Thiruparuppu waterfalls. The local transport is so beautiful in India that we get to see different types of people together with the colourfully decorated buses catching all eyes. I stood under the waterfall where the water fell from a good height that it took away all the pain from the body. While walking back I saw a temple serving lunch and I had to fall in line for an amazing Kerala style meal with a delicious banana payasam. The aroma of banana boiled in ghee and jaggery was so delicious that my mouth is still watering as I write. 

Would I get that job or will I get anyone who can understand my passion? I looked forward with hope. No, I did not get the job there because he said he would call back in a couple of days. Hopelessly I sat down, confused, looking myself as a loser, just as how my family looked at me. Why did I come and what was I doing! All I wanted was to travel the country but now was looking for a full-time job.

The backpack was still trouble and carrying it everywhere tired me soon. I took a bus to the next town and saw at a training institution on the way. I got off to check if they had any vacancy but a person coming out said all staff had left for the day. It was already evening, I started asked people if I could tent in their verandah but was denied by many. I moved to another town and while waiting in the bus stand a lady told me about a train to Trivandrum. I felt it was all over as I simply sat down clueless. I did not know what to do or which way to go. I simply sat at the bus stand which was opposite the railway station in Trivandrum. Sabarimala came up to mind and when I asked in the enquiry they said the temple opens from the 15th of next month which was weeks later.

A bus to Mysore had stopped in front of me while I was sitting idle thinking what next. After being idle for a few hours I decided to go back home. I asked for a bus to Mysore and they said I had to go to Sultan Bathery to catch a bus to Mysore. Madhvi called and I told her my story. She said just try to sustain till Sunday and if I still felt the same I could just go home. I took her advice, messaged my friend Arjun in wayanad, told him my story and that I was on a bus to Bathery and needed a place to stay, he said " nee bathery etthitte vilikkada" ( You just reach Bathery and call me).

I reached Arjun's place after a 12-hour journey on a KSRTC. Arjun is another mad guy who has taken me to many unexplored places in Wayanad earlier. I Even asked him if he would accompany me on my journey but he said he cannot do it now. We had food at his place and he took me to a cave nearby, and we decided to tent someplace for the night.

The Cave was little away from where we parked after a short ride on an Avenger 150. After a Trek to the cave I said it was actually a good place to tent but Arjun had other plans in mind. We meditated to Estas Tonne and then sat on a hill looking at the sun going down while Omkara played in the background.

The plans of camping for the night failed since it was just his mother and sister at home so We put on a fire, cooked some potatoes and went back to his house and crashed for the night.

I woke up with a blank mind looking for a direction to go and my mom was texting me asking me to come back home. I knew I had lost. Arjun suggested I go and do service at Art of Living. I planned to take his advice and stay there for a while before heading home with a clear mind. I decided to stay for the day and to start towards Bangalore at night.

Meanwhile, during the day we came to Edakkal caves where Arjun told his friends about me. Harish Etta one of his friend put me in touch with Shaju Lal, The Godfather! He ran a few resorts in Kerala and Tamilnadu. He gave me my first opportunity, to work in a resort in Kodaikanal. He said I could stay there as long as I want and help his brother out with work. Just when I was thinking to go back home, an opportunity that I needed desperately came up. All I had in mind till that moment changed in a second and I decided to head to Kodaikanal. I was not really not sure how this world turn out But I wanted to take this opportunity to see where it can take me. I was running out of cash having just enough to reach Kodaikanal or head home. I was not afraid to lose, Losing teaches you to try again and makes you strong enough to not mind losing but to work better for the next challenge.

I could still go back home but I would have regretted this opportunity since I signed up for it and I just did not want to back off when I had it. I didn't know how much of India I could cover in this journey but I was curious to see what life has for me for the next few days.

I felt sad leaving Wayanad. One cannot get drunk in his own house And it's a bad reputation for
your friend. I couldn't see his mother in tears looking at his son screwing up his life. One way I was also doing the same. I decided to leave Wayanad, Arjun's friend dropped me off at bathery then I boarded a bus to Kozhikode. After a peaceful journey, it was followed by a crowded one to Palakkad. I couldn't stand and after a while and I managed to sit on the floor in between the last seats leaning on to my backpack. Later Palakkad to Palani and Palani to Kodaikanal.


If you wish to fund the blog and travel, contributions can be sent through Gpay or Phonepe @ 7259496378 ( Akarshan Devanand )

Bank transfers can be made to

Federal Bank

Akarshan Devanand Bhagwan

Account number - 19310100012360

IFSC - FDRL0001931

Kushalnagar branch

---

Instagram

@Akarshandevanand

YouTube

https://youtube.com/@TheAkarshanDevanand


Thankful to them all, Thankful to the One!

Much metta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With the first Snow fall of my life, It was a feeling worth for being born

The next morning I visited the temple again before I rode back. I was having tea when a person suggested to me to visit Munsyari. The map showed 128 kilometres and he said it could be snowing there now. I took that direction and as I rode higher, it started getting colder and I wore almost every single cloth I had, one over the other, layers of new and the old thermals, a woollen sweater, a 100 rupee pullover from Shillong, my jacket and the decade-old rain Jacket. Waist down I had 2 thermals and jeans, woollen socks from decathlon and not to forget the 200 rupees sneaker. As I rode ahead, the landscape and cold only got better and better and by evening while I was just about 30 kilometres away from Munsyari I started seeing snow. For once, I felt worth being born. For a moment I recollected my Status on Social media just before starting this ride, when I said riding to the land of snow and sand on the Platina, My Friend Sukesh had commented asking, riding till snow? I live to my word

Alone, in the night, walking towards a light far far away. through the lush green valleys of Nagaland. - Dzuko valley

While riding to Nagaland through Silonijan, my engine oil measuring cap burst suddenly while climbing a road uphill, causing oil to leak. I managed to reach a Bajaj showroom in Barpathar after 30 kilometres, fixed it and changed the engine oil. The technicians were so amazed at the Platina, that they honoured me with another Gamcha.  The day went fast with that minor hiccup but I couldn't find a spot to pitch my tent. As it got darker I found a place to camp in a small neighbourhood. When I requested Ajay Boro, he agreed to let me camp. I put my tent and sat for a conversation with the families there. Brother Ajay asked me about my habits and I said I smoked up. He took me just around the house and for 50 rupees they gave me about a hell lot. I was dumbfounded! I said I didn't want so much. They said that’s how much they gave for 50. I smoked with an old man in his pipe and took Ajay da to buy some liquor since he didn't smoke.  This man Ajay Boro had a beautiful life but k

The Himalayas! A new feeling rushing through my body.

It happened again, a view of mighty mountains in front of me and a road leading into it, I was lit like fire. The Himalayas! It was a new feeling rushing through my body, I can still feel it as I'm writing this. I was climbing very slowly with my 100cc engine having just enough power to pull me through, as I was feeling the need for some extra power under my throttle. Can you imagine climbing the Himalayan mountains at 30 kmph? The mountains kept me calm, the view of clouds resting on the mountains, the slight drizzle and those winding roads through the lush forests kept me going. After all that riding, I was now starting to feel the real cold. I reached Darjeeling town around 3:00 pm and found a youth hostel to stay and it started raining. I was inside The Darjeeling zoo when I suddenly bumped into Jeevan Thomas. We had done our graduation together in Bangalore. He was there with his family and worked for a travel firm in Kolkata. He looked the same as before. No change in shape o